3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Case toggle not working with Unicode (2000 SP4)

When I try and use SHIFT+F3 to toggle case on a block of text with unicode characters included, all the characters with diacritical marks are changed to lower case, and the other letters changed to upper case. Further attempts to use SHIFT+F3 don't alter the case further.

Couldn't find anything on this in the KB. Is it a known bug? Has it been fixed in subsequent versions of office. I attach a small sample file for testing.

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Case toggle not working with Unicode (2000 SP4)

Shift+F3 doesn't work correctly for me either in Word 2002, but Format | Change Case does.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Case toggle not working with Unicode (2000 SP4)

Using Word 2003 SP2 I get the same results as you, whether I use Shift-F3 or Format > Change Case

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Case toggle not working with Unicode (2000 SP4

Apparently, although both upper case and lower case characters are available in the "Latin Extended Additional" character set, changing case hasn't been implemented for them in Word.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to report a bug. Over the years,here have been various pages on the Microsoft website for this purpose, but as far as I can tell, they have all been removed. And if you can find one, it's a hassle - you have to sign up for a Passport account first.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Case toggle not working with Unicode (2000 SP4

You know, I never knew that there was a menu item for this. Shatters my faith in never straying from the keyboard unless I have to!

Interestingly, when starting from lower case, I can successfully change the case to all other cases, and it successfully changes back except when I change to upper case. This isn't conducted properly, as the letters with diacritical marks remain lower case, and when I try and change case back to sentence case or title case, random words are left in upper case (not necessarily those containing letters with diacritical marks), although changing back to lower case works.

Edit: I've since found that the Change Case command does not give consistent results with any case changes, contrary to my initial experience. So the thing just doesn't work. End edit.

I think this needs to go under the heading of bug, particularly if it doesn't work in 2003. Is there a fruitful way to report bugs to Microsoft?

Thanks for pointing this out to me Hans (as ever).