3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Server 2003 Licensing

If I have a server machine with Windows 2003 Server installed and I have 5 other PCs with WinXP on the network. Do I need to purchase 5 CALS for these PCs to access the server?

Thanks

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Server 2003 Licensing

<font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks John.

However, it never says if I have Windows XP on the client PCs already, I still need to pay extra for the CALs.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>A separate Windows CAL (of either type) is required for each user or device that accesses or uses the server software on any of your servers.<hr>
    Seems fairly definitive to me - the important thing is that you are accessing the server software from a non-internet route, not what type of operating system you have on the clients.
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

so if in a small network, say 5 users, it makes no economical sense to use the Small Business Server because you have to buy 5 Windows XP, 5 Windows CALs, 1 server software. If I use a peer to peer network, I would have saved the 5 Windows CALs and the server licenses.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I suppose it is the usual cost/benefit calculation. If you think the facilities are worth the money, then buy the licences! (Perhaps the SBS server comes with a small number of free CALs in your territory?)

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

I think that you two are aasking about different things here.

If you want to connect your XP PCs to a network via a server, you do not need CALs.

If you want to access software on the server (ie via terminal services) then you need CALs to allow that connection. Windows Server 2003 comes with 5 CALs. We run ours in a per server mode so that we only have 5 PCs connected at one time even though we have more than 5 PCs on the network.

Does this clear it up and make it a more economical proposition?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

so if I access the server strictly for file/printer sharing, I do NOT have to buy any CALs? That is a relief.

Thanks

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

More research has come up with Understanding Client Access Licences, where Jim Boyce says it rather better than can I...

Ita, esto, quidcumque...