New Lounger
    Thanks

Install Problem (??)

I try to maintain my brother's pc. I am set up as admin, he a limited user. I installed Verizon Online under my login. It works. However, I can't figure out how to put a usable icon on his desktop so he can run it. My skill level is still Win98. Thanks in advance for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Install Problem (??)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Do you have a shortcut (icon) on your desktop? If so, try moving it (in Windows Explorer) from

Cocuments and Settings<yourname>Desktop

to

Cocuments and SettingsAll UsersDesktop

This should make the shortcut appear for everybody who logs on to the computer.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans:
    I knew it had to be something simple. I just have little experience with this.
    Thanks very much for your help.
    Dick

New Lounger
    Thanks

I moved the icons to my brothers desktop. I also got an extra set on my desktop that connected to the Internet as they should. So I know that worked properly. However clicking on his shortcuts gives a message something similar to unable to display the page. At this point, I think there must be something amiss with his Internet Explorer settings. I'll compare them to mine later today.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Install Problem Internet Explorer

Well, after making sure that the internet options under both of our logons match and spending 3 hours on the phone with Verizon, it was determined, by them, the browser under my brother's logon was corrupt. Now I am stuck! I just don't understand the interaction between separate logons and programs work. So I don't know where to go from here. Should I just go to Dell (the vendor he purchased the PC and software from) and pay the price for their support or try something else? The thing that gets me is, it seems with a little more knowledge on my part, this problem can be easily solved. Maybe not!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Which version of Internet Explorer is installed on the PC? You can check by clicking the Help button on the toolbar (blue button with a question mark) and selecting About Internet Explorer from the dropdown menu.

New Lounger
    Thanks

The operating system is XP Home Edition 5.1 SP2 and Internet Explorer is vers. 6.0.2900.2180. This is the same version that works under my logon, but not under my brother's logon. I have to tell you, my brother is somewhat mentally handicapped and sometimes he does things to the system that seem right to him, but not necessarly to others. I give him credit for that, but I have no idea what he may have done - if anything.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. See How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP - you'll have to reinstall Windows XP SP-2. Alternatively, you might want to install Internet Explorer 7 - it is a much enhanced version. See Internet Explorer: Get It Now

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans
    Thanks for your interest and help. The thought of reinstalling is a bit nerve-wracking. What the heck! No pain, no gain.
    Dick

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans:
    I just wanted to wrap this up and tell you the solution to my problem.
    I called Dell and paid about $40 for a fix. Well worth it, since my brother was driving me nuts. All we did was set up a new logon for him. Apparently, his Internet Explorer profile was corrupted. I moved Icons to his new desktop via all users, as you suggested, and all is golden now. Thanks again for your help.
    Dick