5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

INSERT INTO on a subform (A2K, Win2K Pro)

I have a db where I am attempting to create a set of records using multiple sub-forms. Everything seems to be working alright but there is one part where I am running into problems. The user can enter a new survery, survey sections, questions for those sections, and, if required, a set of responses to a given question on a given section of a given survey. (You may see why I am doing a bunch of subforms here...)

any way, I wanted to allow the user to select either a 4 or 6 point Likert scale set of response options if desired. I have a drop-down and code behind to attempt to insert the pre-defined Likert scale choices from a table. The preferred method would seem to be to do a SELECT INTO [TargetTable].(column) FROM [SourceTable].(column) but when I try to do it I get the error

"Number of query values and desitination fields are not the same."

I'm taking this to mean, perhaps, that as there are not already 4 or 6 rows in the target table the SELECT INTO from a source table won't run? Or am i missing something... hard to say because this error isn't associated with a help section.

Here's the Code

Select Case LikertChoice

Case "4-Point Scale"
    strSQL = "INSERT INTO QuestionResponses (Response) SELECT LS_4.* FROM LS_4"

Case "6-Point Scale"
    strSQL = "INSERT INTO QuestionResponses (Response) SELECT LS_6.* FROM LS_6"

Case Else
    MsgBox "An error has occurred."
    Exit Sub

End Select

I've tried moving the drop-down to the subform itself and the same error occurs. I don't want to do that as the subform in this case should ideally be in datasheet format...

TIA!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: INSERT INTO on a subform (A2K, Win2K Pro)

This is rather confusing - you mention both SELECT INTO (which corresponds to a make-table query) and INSERT INTO (which corresponds to an append query).

Try

strSQL = "INSERT INTO QuestionResponses (Response) SELECT LS_4.FieldName FROM LS_4"

i.e. explicitly name the field instead of using *.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: INSERT INTO on a subform (A2K, Win2K Pro)

Sorry - I meant INSERT INTO <TargetTable> SELECT <SourceTable>

and...your suggestion worked!

thanks!!