Lounger
    Thanks

Headers & Footers (Office 97)

I have file A, with its header and page numbering in its footer. On page 100 , I want to add file B, which has its own header and footers.
    I want to insert file B with its own header (which has important information), but keep (propagate), the page number continuity from file A.
    When file B it completed, will insert file C, same requirements for header and continuity for page number footer.
    After C, will come back to header A.
    Tried ^C + ^V, but copies file contents w/o header.
    Is this problem description clear enough?
    Any help?
    Thanks in advance.
    Daniel Rozenberg.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Headers & Footers (Office 97)

Daniel,

If files B and C each contain only one section, then the section formatting (including that which controls the header) is stored in the last paragraph mark of the document.

When you paste files B and C into file A, because file A already has custom formatting set in the header, the formatting from the last paragraph mark that is copied in from files B and C will have no effect (at least this is how it works when I test it now on Word 2000).
    (Interestingly, if file A had no customized header content to begin with, then pasting the entirety of file B will change the header content in file B.)

Try the following steps, these seem to work when I test them here:

In file A, insert a next page section break just before the end of the document.
    Similarly, insert a next page section break just before the end of files B and C.
    In file B, select all, copy, and then paste this into the end of file A (after the section break). Repeat the process with file C.
    This should get you close to what you need.

If you need to have the last section in the document go back to the original file A section heading, you might experiment with inserting two next page section breaks into file A, before pasting in the contents of files B and C - try pasting the contents of these files, between the two new section breaks in file A.

I haven't done a thorough test so I hope this works!

Gary

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Following on from Gary's post, a quick note: when you have put the section break at the end of File A (likewise B and C), go into the new section's header/footer and make sure (1) 'Same as previous' is UNchecked and (2) 'number format' has 'continue from previous section' selected, then it should work fine. Once you have inserted the next file (after the section break, of course) you might need to go into the format for your page number and make sure it is continuing from previous, but otherwise ...

HTH
    Beryl M

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks a lot for your help.
    Will try the recommendations and let you know the results.

Daniel Rozenberg

Lounger
    Thanks

I tried the recommendations:
    Pasting document B after A was not a problem. It worked OK; in spite of the fact that doc. B has SEVERAL sections, where changes in layout from portrait to landscape and back alternate.
    Surprisingly, I hadn't noticed that doc. B had page numbering in its HEADER, so Word continued the numbering IN THE HEADER from the last number in doc. A , and kept the footer of doc. B.
    The problems came when inserting the next page break after doc. B, because it brought back header from A.
    I interpret this as a consequence of the fact that Word allows only two headers, namely "same as last" , and a "second new one" , but not a third, as it would be the one from doc. C in this case.
    I am currently evaluating this scenario, to decide if to keep the original intention or abandon it.
    Nevertheless, thanks again to all of you who helped me learn this.

Daniel Rozenberg.

New Lounger
    Thanks

You can also insert the Next Page Section breaks between documents, deselect "Same as Previous" in the header/footer, and format your page numbers to start at any page number you specify. [NB: you have to deselect "Same as Previous" twice per section, once each for header and footer. So if you want, say, the footer to stay the same while the header changes, deselect "Same as Previous" for just the header.]

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Sarah;
    Thanks a lot, but the report had to be released yesterday before the end of the day, and given that I had not too much time for experimentation, the scheme was abandoned, and we managed to re-negotiate another document format .
    Nevertheless, thanks again.

Daniel Rozenberg.