Star Lounger
    Thanks

pdf image as background (2003)

I have both PowerPoint 2003 and PowerPoint 2007 (separate machines), so can do this task in whichever application allows it..

I need to make a slide that has an image of dense text showing faintly in the background with an overlay of bulleted items of text on top. The idea is for the presenter to be able to highlight the important parts of the dense text for the audience.

I'm starting with the dense-text as a pdf. I can insert that pdf into a slide but I haven't been able to make the image become a background.

Is there a way to bring the dense-text pdf into a slide and make it the background? The background tool in PowerPoint and in Word seems not to recognize any objects except pictures and I haven't been able to convert the dense-text pdf to a jpg.

Maybe someone has a better way to accomplish what I am trying to do. All suggestions are welcome.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: pdf image as background (2003)

Once you've inserted the PDF onto a blank slide in 2003 can you right click and save as a picture? You can then use this picture as a background

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: pdf image as background (2003)

Thanks; that is the tip I needed to start me on my way.

I actually ended up using PowerPoint 2007 so I'm not sure this will be helpful but ,since it was a bit involved, I'll explain how to do it:
    Save the pdf as a .jpg. I did this by importing the .pdf into a slide, then right click the image and select "save as a picture" (as John recomended)
    On the Design tab, select Background
    Select Fill, toggle "Picture", browse for saved .jpg
    Select the jpg after inserting it into a blank slide
    Right click, select "format picture"
    Select Background then "recolor"
    Select a very light option from among the many options offered
    Create a text box on top of the now faint background picture

Many thanks for your continuing help on all things Office.