Thanks

Trouble installing SP2 (XP)

I've started again with my wife's laptop, by putting it back to day one using the product recovery CD. It came with Windows XP, with no SPs, so that is what I got back to. I downloaded assorted updates, not yet SP2, though. Then tried to get it to get SP2 online, which failed. So then I copied the whole SP2 installation file downloaded from MS on to the laptop and ran it. Eventually I get an error that says

"An error occurred while copying file plylst9.wp_. Cannot copy file to destination directory. Click retry to retry tje operation or click cancel to" (the message ends abruptly there)

Clicking retry still fails so I click cancel. It asks me if I want to carry on with set up without that file and I say yes. After a while it says it can't copy the file plyst9.wpl and to ensure that the location below is correct. Cancel at this stage aborts the SP2 installation.

A bit of googling found this MS advice http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838204 that suggests that this is a problem with installing service packs that installing SP2 will solve! No doubt it will!

Any help anyone can offer?

Ian

Edited to add - this is Windows XP Home not Pro.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Trouble installing SP2 (XP)

Ian,

My experience is that I have installed SP2 as the first update after using the recovery CD.

My understanding is that SP2 includes the previous updates.

Thanks

Re: Trouble installing SP2 (XP) SOLVED

I have now succeeded in installing it. I reinstated from the recovery disc again, and this time did two things before I tried to install SP2. (1) I tried to make sure the permissions on the music folder in shared folders would let the process copy the offending file there (prompted by an answer here http://www.mcse.ms/archive/index.php/t-1345382.html and (2) I converted from FAT32 to NTFS before attempting the SP2 installation. I'm not sure which did the trick but it worked. Thanks for taking the trouble to reply to my query.

Ian