New Lounger
    Thanks

imported text (Excel 2003)

Other than basic use of Excel I'm unsure of what can be done with it. So if this is a simple answer please keep in mind I'm new to advanced Excel functions.

I've written a VB Script that scans the workstations on our network and creates a text delimited file. I no how to import the file, thats not a problem. What I need to do is import the data into specific columns. I may have one machine with 5 applications and another one with 10 applications. I would like to be able to say if you find the text string 123 it goes in column B, if you find text ABC it goes in column W. So when I sort the data I can easily see what systems have application 123 and what systems have ABC.

Thanks for the help
    -Phillip

Thanks

Re: imported text (Excel 2003)

Could you provide a sample file of what it looks like at the start and what you want at the end?

Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks

I've attached a zip file that contains two files. One is the source txt file the second is a screen capture of what Excel would look like.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

First, import the text file into Excel by doing the following:

1- Select "Get External Data" from the Data menu, and then "Import Text file" from the flyout menu.

2- In the open file dialog box, navagate to the text file, select it and click the import button.

3- In the Text import wizard Step 1 dialog box, put a tic mark next to delimited and click next.

4- In the step 2 dialog box, put tick marks next to tab, space, and comma. Click finish.

5- Click OK in the Box asking where to put the data.

You should now have a sheet that looks like Sheet 1 in the attached workbook.

Now run the Macro SpreadData that I put in the attached workbook.

Sheet 2 should not look like what you want.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Legare Coleman