5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New PST file (Outlook 2003)

When trying to archive my Outlook pst file I received an error message saying my archive.pst file had exceed its allowable size and suggested converting to the pst file format starting with Outlook 2003. I believe I am using the pst file originally created with Outlook 2000. How do I convert to the new format without losing any of my data, particularly my contact data.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: New PST file (Outlook 2003)

Microsoft says the following in Convert a non-Unicode data file (.pst) to a Unicode data file (.pst):
    <hr>There is no automatic way of converting a Microsoft Outlook 97-2002 Personal Folders file (.pst) to a Unicode-capable Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders file (.pst) file. The easiest way to convert a non-Unicode .pst file is to create a new data file in the Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders file (.pst) format that supports Unicode and then import items from the old data file to the new Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders file (.pst).<hr>
    The articel provides detailed instructions.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried just creating a new archive unicode file (archiveu.pst) following the steps in Microsoft article on converting. I then realized I probably needed to create a new personal folder with a new outlook pst file, perhaps outlooku.pst. So I deleted the new archiveu.pst and decided to start over. However I can not delete the second personal folder from my folder list, and every time I start Outlook I get an error message, "Outlook can not find archiveu.pst. How do I delete this second personal folder from my folder list and clean up this mess. I made a copy of my pst file before I started all this. I renamed the new pst file and copied the old saved file back, but still get the message can not find archiveu.pst.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

How about duplicating any of your .pst files, renaming it to archiveu.pst and placing it in the correct folder? If you can open Outlook without error message, you should be able to close the .pst file (thereby removing it from the list). The .pst file can then be deleted from disk.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, I restored the archiveu.pst file to the folder where I had it. Now outlook opens without the error message. But I do not understand how to delete this second "Personal Folders" folder. No right click delete, or edit delete option. (See screen shot above.)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I "closed" it and it worked. I was looking for a "delete". Now I should be able to start over. Thanks