5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Moving Mail Folder (Vista Premium)

I've just bought a new PC with Windows Vista Premium on it. In my WinXP Pro machine I moved the Outlook Express file location to a place under the folder where I kept all my good stuff backed up. When I went into Windows Mail on the new machine and clicked through to the point to move the mail file location, I was able to specify the new folder but when I clicked OK it said it would not be moved until Windows Mail was closed. I closed it and nothing was changed. I also went though the process again and closed and rebooted and still nothing changed. What do I need to do to get Windows Mail to use the new folder location?

Thanks,
    Bill

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Moving Mail Folder (Vista Premium)

You would be far better off using the "Export" utility in Outlook Express to save all your .dbx files and Address Book to a new location and then use the "Import" utility in Vista to bring them all over.

Here is a decent tutorial on how to do that: Migrate from Outlook Express to Windows Mail

Jeff
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Moving Mail Folder (Vista Premium)

Jeff,

I'm afraid you missed the point. I'm trying to move the folder in which MS Mail stores the message files on Vista. I used Windows Easy Transfer to move the Address Book and the mail Accounts from my WinXP machine to the new Vista machine and that seems to have worked perfectly. I do want to also move the messages themselves too but I was going to get the location of the messages moved before trying to transfer the messages. That article you directed me to gave me really good advice about how to accomplish that transfer from OE to MS Mail and I'll follow it. No matter which thing I do first, I really would like to have the MS Mail message files stored in an area that will be backed up regularly. MS Mail does supply the mechanism to do that; just click on the Maintenance button on the Advanced tab in MS Mail Options and then click the Store Folder button and it gives you a place to change the location, but the change is ignored after working your way out of the nested dialog boxes. Hopefully, someone will be able to tell me the magic way to get it done! I have tried it with MS Mail opened as Administrator and that didn't help.

Thanks,
    Bill