4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Global edit of phone numbers (Outlook 2003)

Hi folks....I have recently started using Skype, including the feature that permits phone calls to landlines and cell phones.....Skype permits its users to show their OUTLOOK contacts and dial numbers....the problem is that whenever I entered a phone number in OUTLOOK, I used the format xxx/xxx.xxxx

Skype won't dial numbers in that format....so that I don't have to retype all my phone numbers for use in Skype, does anyone know a global edit for numbers that will change them from xxx/xxx.xxxx to something like xxx-xxx-xxxx ?? Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Global edit of phone numbers (Outlook 2003)

Unfortunately through Outlook 2003 there is no Find-&-Replace Function for Contacts, which seems to me to be an oversight, especially for corporate users.

It is possible to run VBA code to fix this. Following is untested code that should work; you may want to to test it first on a copy of your Contacts Folder. You will need to place it in an Outlook VB Module, turn Outlook Macro Securty settings to "Low", and preselect the folder you want to run on. (See <post#=568,453>post 568,453</post#> for more about how to run Outlook Macros.) This only hits the common telephone numbers - there are several more - and it assumes that you want to replace the slash with a period:

Sub RemoveContactPhoneSlash()
    ' preselect Contact folder to be operated on
    Dim objContact As Object ' contactitem
    Dim strReplaceWhat As String, strReplaceWith As String

strReplaceWhat = "/"
    strReplaceWith = "."

For Each objContact In ActiveExplorer.CurrentFolder.Items
    If objContact.Class = olContact Then ' exclude DistLists
    With objContact
    .BusinessTelephoneNumber = Replace(.BusinessTelephoneNumber, strReplaceWhat, strReplaceWith, 1, 1, vbTextCompare)
    .BusinessFaxNumber = Replace(.BusinessFaxNumber, strReplaceWhat, strReplaceWith, 1, 1, vbTextCompare)
    .HomeTelephoneNumber = Replace(.HomeTelephoneNumber, strReplaceWhat, strReplaceWith, 1, 1, vbTextCompare)
    .MobileTelephoneNumber = Replace(.MobileTelephoneNumber, strReplaceWhat, strReplaceWith, 1, 1, vbTextCompare)
    .PrimaryTelephoneNumber = Replace(.PrimaryTelephoneNumber, strReplaceWhat, strReplaceWith, 1, 1, vbTextCompare)
    .CompanyMainTelephoneNumber = Replace(.CompanyMainTelephoneNumber, strReplaceWhat, strReplaceWith, 1, 1, vbTextCompare)
    .Save
    End With
    End If
    Next
    End Sub

After you are done, reset your Macro Security to Medium or High.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS