Star Lounger
    Thanks

Desktop Search (XP SP2)

Hi,

I have recently installed Windows Desktop Search, and am finding I am really struggling with it. I have indexed all the folders on all drives that I want to search. I'm using it in 2 ways and having a problem with both methods:

1. Sometimes I use the Search Deskbar on the Taskbar to search. Currently this searches all indexed drives. How do I narrow the search from here to specify only certain drives and folders?

2. Sometimes I right click on a folder in Windows Explorer and use Search from there. When I do this, I get No Results and am told that this folder needs to be indexed (which it already is) or that I should use the 'Companion Search', the Standard Windows search.

Is it me or the software!?

Thanks, Laurie

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Re: Desktop Search (XP SP2)

1.) I'm pretty sure you can't narrow the search when you use the Search Deskbar. Sorry.

2.) Are you sure you have all the folders & subfolders included in the indexing? Have you tried forcing an index rebuild?

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

1. That makes it pretty redundant in my view then. Unless I use long/uncommon searh criteria I will always get too many results I can't see how to narrow the search from the Search Results window either.

2. Have re-indexed, still doesn't work.

My conclusion - gubbins.

Administrator
    Thanks

Have you checked in the advanced options to make sure the file type is included in your index?

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes all required files are checked.

Administrator
    Thanks

I'm unable to reproduce your issue with right clicking a folder in Windows Explorer. When I do that I'm able to search for anything. Do you have the most current version of WDS (Download Windows Desktop Search and MSN Search Toolbar)? Are you searching for a file type not supported and you need an addin - Windows Desktop Search Add-ins?

Joe
    Joe