New Lounger
    Thanks

Compact & Repair (ACC 2000, WIN98)

I have a 65.6MB database that I can no longer compact. I can't remeber exactly when this started. I am able to compact other databases.

I receive the following message: 'This program has performed an illegal operation and will shut down.'

I have re-installed Access and still get the same results. I have tried compacting from other machines and get the same results.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or suggestions will be gladly accepted.

TIA

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Compact & Repair (ACC 2000, WIN98)

You could try using JetComp to compact your database. This often works when the internal compact won't. You can get it from Micorosoft Website, under Office Updates I believe.

Or you can try creating a new database, then import all the information from your old database. Frequently this solves alot of problems.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Lounger
    Thanks

Once you use Jet Comp and/or generate a new database and import all the current information, I would suggest using the "table-splitter" add-on and get the database into more manageable "chunks".

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

JetComp (ACC 2000, WIN98)

The error message suggests there's something in your database that's corrupted. Here's a link for the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q273/9/56.ASP>JetComp.exe download</A>

You might also try compiling the code to see if you've got a code problem and fix any of those you find. If you keep having problems, try following <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=acc&Number=44732&page=& view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post44732>these instructions</A> to decompile the database before you compact and repair.
    Charlotte

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "more manageable chunks"?
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.