3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Track Chngs Annoyance (2000 SR1)

I used track-changes in a document, and it works fine. Later, I turned off track-changes, then assigned a new style to certain paragraphs. The previous style and the new style both have outline numbering, but at different outline levels. When I apply the new style, the outline numbering is crossed-out/underlined, as if track-changes were on. It is not on, as verified by typing some text, which does not appear underlined.

Has anyone seen this behavior, and is there a way to prevent it?

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Track Chngs Annoyance (2000 SR1)

Jim,

Just checking: when you turned off track changes, did you turn it off either by double-clicking the "TRK" icon in the status bar, or by going to Tools > Track Changes and ensuring there is no checkmark next to "Track changes while editing"? (sometimes folks will simply turn off "Highlight changes on screen" and "Highlight changes in printed document", which means that the track changes don't show, but they are still happening).

A few years ago when using Word 97, I ran into a nasty problem with a particular autonumbered style, where if "TRK" were turned on, the numbering would show as doubled, as you describe it. I never did get to the bottom of that one but fortunately for those particular documents, we never needed to use track changes, so it was a non-issue.
    If you really are having that problem, something to try, although drastic, might be to try deleting that style from the document and then recreating that style from scratch - not sure though whether that will help.

Gary

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Track Chngs Annoyance (2000 SR1)

Hi Gary,

Normally, I toggle it by double-clicking the status bar. When I saw the weird behavior, I verified verified that Track Changes While Editing was not checked.

Even if it were the case that, I had mistakenly only turned off Highlight Changes on Screen, the observed behavior was inconsistent (some changes were tracked visibly on screen, others were not tracked at all).

I consider this an annoyance only because, when the outline numbering gets tracked, I just right-click and immediately choose Accept Change. I also tried closing an reopening the document, and shutting down and re-opening Word.

I did not try unchecking Highlight Changes on Screen. I suspect it would not show the changed outline numbering, but would track the changes anyway.

Thanks!