Lounger
    Thanks

Access to Word (RTF) (Office 2000, XP, 2003 )

Is there a setting somewhere in Access or Word that controls the RTF word-wrap behaviour?

When I push a pretty basic report in Access out to Word - although there are different line breaks compared to how it is laid out in Access, it looks OK and the margins are exactly the same.

However, if another user does the same thing they end up with broken lines when sent to Word and have to adjust margins each time, although margins in Word and Access appear to be set identically.

EXAMPLES....

My one:

Access

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access to Word (RTF) (Office 2000, XP, 2003 )

Both Access and Word rely heavily on printer settings when formatting a report / document. If your printer has different page margins than that of the user, that might cause different text wrapping.

Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks Hans..... I will check the User's printer setup and see if this changes things!

Lounger
    Thanks

I've compared both machines and the Printer setup doesn't appear to be a factor, as both the left and right margins are 25mm

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know what causes this. Do you really need to export to Word? I've always found the export to RTF one of Access' weakest features - it hasn't been updated or improved since the very first version of Access, I believe. There are better ways of exporting reports (PDF, snapshot), and you can get better results in Word by using mailmerge or automation.

Thanks

Further to Hans' comments, you may want your users to press a button in Access to create the document, rather than opening Word and starting a merge.

If so, Access can launch Word, create a document based on a specific template (one that you've already set up to merge with the data), and do the merge. If you can't get Access to completely control Word as you'd like, you can pass the automation to macros in the Word template.

Kim