Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Printer - USB vs Router

Everything is working fine, now, thanks, but I am puzzled about the difference between USB connections and network-router connections. A layman's interpretation would help me greatly.

I purchased a HP2600N laser printer. It came with a network/router cable, so on a whim I plugged one end into the printer and the other end into a vacant hole in my modem/router.
    To my surprise it worked! (I had dreams of providing an internet-based colour printing service to my colleagues!).
    Then it worked only intermittently, and after a failure I found that rebooting both computer systems made it work again. I'd print a batch of 6 pages, and when I went to re-print (after corrections) the printer was "not ready" or similar (screen snapshot attached).

This morning I switched the network/router cable for a USB connection; deleted the HP2600N printer from the list of available printers on both machines. While I was doing that the USB/hardware/Windows stuff did its magic thing and found and configured the printer (Yipee!). It remained for me only to share the printer, and now I am printing stuff without any "dropped ready" messages.

It seems to me that letting my Big beige Box and Windows look after the printer is a more robust solution than feeding it directly into the router, but this goes against my general rule of "simple is better". I would have guessed that the network-router connection, being without software interference, would have been more robust than passing through a USB port and Windows. Especially Windows.

I'd appreciate general comments; I'm not a network expert at all, and am content to let sleeping dogs lie, but have this mild curiosity as to why, in this case, more-complex seems to lead to more-robust.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (55.0 KB, 1 views)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Printer - USB vs Router

Were both PCs powered on and connected to the router when the printer was attached? How is the DHCP server (either the router or a PC) configured to handle IP address assignment? Is there a browser based admin console for the printer?

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printer - USB vs Router

> Were both PCs powered on and connected to the router when the printer was attached?
    Yes. I rarely have the Big beige Box powered down because it is my jukebox. The Laptop is where I work.
    The HP2600N takes about as long to get going as a Pacfic steam locomotive takes to get the fire started, steam up etc. So on days when I know I am to be working in colour, I turn on the HP32600N at the start of the day and leave it on.

>How is the DHCP server (either the router or a PC) configured to handle IP address assignment?
    Getting over my head here. i went into Zonelabs Zonealarm and entered the printers IP address, and was able to use it, except for it "dropping ready" after a print job.

>Is there a browser based admin console for the printer?
    Yes there is. It shows lotso fo information, like the rate at which my magenta cartidge is emptying MUCH faster than anything else.
    I have attached a JPG as a ZIP file to avoid cluttering up the display screen here.

I must add at this point that since I switched to a USB connection the HP2600N seems to behave itself. That is my main concern satisfied - that i can print in colour whenever i want.

The direct-router-network connection thingy was a dream for the future, that i might be able to configure things so that privileged users could issue print jobs without my attention.