New Lounger
    Thanks

Alignment Formatting (MS Word 2002)

I have been using MS Word for a long time, but I am stumped by an alignment formatting issue that developed "overnight" in a document. The problem surfaced today; yesterday it behaved as expected. Others do use/have access to this document. My document is formatted into 2 columns and is multiple pages. When you place the cursor within a text paragraph in one of the columns, the _entire document_ will adopt an alignment change that you think would apply to just the one paragraph where the cursor is placed. I am unable to figure out what setting may have been changed that would cause this behavior. I would gratefully appreciate any light anyone could shed on this dilemma!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Alignment Formatting (MS Word 2002)

My guess is that the style you're using (probably Normal) has accidentally been set to update automatically.
    - Select Format | Styles and Formatting...
    - Right-click Normal in the task pane that appears.
    - Select Modify... from the popup menu.
    - Clear the check box "Automatically update".
    - Click OK.
    Post back if this doesn't apply.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks HansV! As you suggested, I checked the "Automatically update" checkbox and it did not have a check mark. The document is about 11-12 pages and if you choose to Center/Right/Justify align any one of the paragraphs, the entire document shifts to whatever choice you make. I'm at a loss. Thank you very much for your suggestion!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Could you post (a stripped down copy of) your document? Replace sensitive or proprietary content with dummy text.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans--I will post the document. Thank you very much for whatever suggestions you may be able to provide! It is a valuable, valuable service! There are no sensitive or proprietary elements to the document; it is a Lutheran Church Sunday service bulletin about 239K. I am primarily responsible for getting them ready for Sunday's service. Thanks in advance for whatever assistance you may be able to provide.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I cannot explain why it happened, but Word thinks there are only 2 paragraphs in the entire document: the first page using the Header style and the rest of the document using Normal. This is strange, for the document contains lots of ASCII 13 characters, which ordinarily act as paragraph marks. You can 'repair' this as follows:
    - Select Edit | Replace.
    - Enter <code>^13</code> in the 'Find what' box.
    - Enter <code>^p</code> in the 'Replace with' box.
    - Click 'Replace All'.
    The document should now behave normally.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Hans for "offering to help solve my problem"! I will try your edit and replace strategy (I haven't tried it yet). In the meantime, I have been copying and pasting paragraph-by-paragraph into a new blank document; it seems to be working OK so far, just painfully slow. I agree with you completely when you said it was acting as though it were 1 or 2 paragraphs. I'm used to alignment changes impacting only the paragraph (or selected paragraphs) that you apply it to. ?????
    Thank you kindly for taking an interest! Gary Blakeman