Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Fixing Word 2007 (2007/Vista Business)

It seems there are a million ways to repair Word 2003, and I may try any or all in this case, but the wording of the error message is a classic.

MS Office Word has stopped working. Windows is collecting more information about the problem. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. (There was a re-wording of the message from the other end somewhere in the middle of the muddle, but you have the gist of it.)

I have had no trouble with Word 2007 under XP Pro, but this has lasted more than 24 hours, and it happens to be a computer I would like to have available. Because it is Vista, presumably Microsoft would like to see working as well. Pity they can't suggest a solution.

Repair install comes to mind, but advice would be welcome.

I should have added that Word will start normally and open a document normally. I think it is after closing the document (using close, not exit) that I get the message.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Fixing Word 2007 (2007/Vista Business)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. I already have that listed on my Post Reminders, but since this is Word 2007 and Microsoft themselves were so noncommittal that I wasn't sure I should try any of the standard troubleshooting procedures.

I posted the problem from one computer, then came back to the computer that was having the trouble, and Word stumbled a bit but miraculously came back to life. It may turn out to be one of those self-curing things that characterize certain programs or operating systems. It was the Microsoft error message that drove me crazy, but if this thing is smart enough to fix itself when it has a problem, then it definitely gets my support.

Thanks

In addition to Hans' suggestion, you can also use the Office Diagnostics. The "Detect and Repair" feature of earlier versions of Office has been replaced by the Office Diagnostics in 2007. Click the Microsoft Office Button in the top left corner of the window, then click Word Options (or Access or Excel, etc.), Resources, Diagnose and go from there. In Outlook, Office Diagnostics is accessed from the Help menu.

I had occasion to use this feature recently when Outlook would not close. Twice I had to close Outlook from Task Manager. The third time this happened I used Diagnose and the problem was corrected.

Edited to Add: MS also has a troubleshooting guide which has been updated to include references to Word 2007.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Excellent. I too have had the Outlook-won't-close problem, and seemed to have nowhere to go from there but the switch.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Have you activated your copy of Office 2007?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Yes. I wouldn't be getting error messages if I hadn't.