Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unexpected Enter Parameter Value Box (2003)

Hi,

I have a database with a Switchboard. On the Switchboard is a text box that allows me to type in a company name and then use a button to bring up a form showing that company's details or a button to display that company's bookings. The company details button works fine but the button for the bookings brings up an unexpected message box 'Enter Parameter Value'.

The button activates a macro. The macro uses the OpenForm action to open the booking form with a query as the filter. The query is designed to look at the company name in the text box and returns details of bookings for that company. If I run the query with a company name entered in the text box on the switchboard it works fine. But when I link the macro to the button, it then displays the 'Enter Parameter Value' box.

What is so wierd is the button to activate the company details form does essentially the same thing, except using a different query and macro, and works fine.

If anybody is kind enough to help, I can upload the database, if that would help.

Thanks v much, Laurie

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unexpected Enter Parameter Value Box (2003)

Hi Laurie

Does <post:=595,226>post 595,226</post:> help you?
    Jerry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Could you post a stripped down copy of your database? See <post#=401925>post 401925</post#> for instructions.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

In the query behind the the form you are trying to bring up, wrap the reference to that textbox within the Eval function, something like this:
    Eval("Forms!frmSwitchBoard!txtCompany")

Note that you must use the quotes.

This may not work, but it often will.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

Here is a stripped down copy of my database. Sorry I didn't do it straight away, it has taken me a while to get it under 100 Kb! There are just 2 records in there, so if you enter into the Name box on the Switchboard either Willis* or Beckham* you can click 'View/Edit this Company Details', which works fine, but the 'View this Company's details' button brings up the Enter Parameter Value message. Btw, the bookings form is currently unfinished because I have made some changes behind the scenes with my tables - I am planning to tidy the design of that up later!

Mark - can you be a bit more precise as to where and how I would enter this. I'm afraid my VB knowledge is quite basic.

Thanks, Laurie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The Booking Details Main FRM form is based on the Booking Details TBL table, but you're trying to filter on the Company field which is not in this table. You should base the form on a query that includes the Company field, for example on Bookings by Company SW QRY (in which case you don't need to specify a filter anymore).

Star Lounger
    Thanks

It works!!!! Hans thank you so much, you are a legend!!!! You cannot believe how much time I have spent trying to work that out.