5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problems with USB connected device

I am hoping that loungers can come to my rescue again concerning this hardware issue.

I have bought a new Dell computer which runs Windows XP Professional, service pack 2. There are four USB 2 ports at the rear and two USB 2 ports at the front. There is also a multi card reader installed which is displayed in the Windows Explorer display as four Removable Disks. The system runs a wireless network using a USB wireless dongle which is plugged into one of the rear USB ports.

The Dell monitor provides another four USB ports; this monitor hub is connected to the PC via one of the rear USB ports and the keyboard and mouse are plugged into two of these monitor ports.

When the system is running, there is a
    Silverback

Thanks

Re: Problems with USB connected device

Do you know how much power these devices consume? Are they considered low power devices like keyboards or a mouse? Most ports are limited to 100ma ( milli amps ) each with a total of 500ma per controller. I don't know what the specs are for the Dell machines but I assume they comply with those requirements.

Are BOTH plugged into the front USB ports?
    Have you tried to move either or both of them to different ports, front and rear?

Since you have checked with both Garmin and Anquet, have you checked with Dell on this problem?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Viking33/Bob
    Thanks for replying. Here are my (not very helpful I'm afraid) answers.
    1. Are BOTH plugged into the front USB ports?
    I am not sure what this question means. I've probably caused confusion in the original description. Anquet Maps is a PC application; it's only the GPS which connects via USB - and the only purpose of this is for it to download/upload track and route information from/to digital mapping software. Mapsource is Garmin's own version of digital mapping but without paying a very large sum of money, the version supplied is essentially empty. It does, however, allow a waypoint to be set, and it is this that I did and successfully transferred to the GPS. The digital maps that I own are produced by Anquet Maps, and it is this application which won't talk to the GPS. My wife paid a large sum of money for these maps, so I don't want to bin them without a fight!
    2. I have no idea how much power the GPS or any other device consumes because I don't know how to find this out. Sorry.
    3. I have tried moving the GPS to most of the ports (not all, because I have not removed the link from the Dell monitor. Anquet still won't see the GPS. I also tried removing the wireless dongle, stopping the wireless network and plugging the GPS into one of the rear ports - this didn't work either.
    4. I tried Dell support; the only reply suggested stopping the multi media card reader (via BIOS) and then plugging the GPS into one of the rear sockets. At this point, I found I could not get into the BIOS with the keyboard plugged into a Dell monitor port - the system refused to take the interrupt. I moved the keyboard into one of the front USB ports and got into the BIOS immediately. (Is this a significant finding about how the USB ports have been implemented?) So I used the 'Safely remove hardware' icon to stop the multi card reader and plugged the GPS into a rear port, but this didn't work either.
    Thanks for taking an interest
    Silverback
    Silverback

Thanks

Silverback,
    Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you but since there were no following status posts, I was wondering where the problem was standing at this point?

Did you contact Dell support regarding this? As a follow up to their first attempt to suggest a solution. I would not give up on keeping up a contact with them. Don't let them just shrug their shoulders and say, " I'm sorry for your problem".
    Seems they would be most likely to suggest a solution here, particularly since you mentioned this was a new machine.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!