New Lounger
    Thanks

Creating A database accessable from multiple comps

I am kind of a newbie when it comes to Microsoft Access 2003, but I do know the basics. What I am trying to do, is turn my database (Tables, Forms, Queries, Reports, and all) into a standalone program. Basically have my database set up on a server machine and have a program written in Visual Basic Code (or set up in VB code from Access) running on a few other machines on a LAN all able to access the database at the same time. But the catch is I don't want to have to load Microsoft Access while this is going on. The reason I don't want Access to have to load, is because I it isn't installed on the other machines.
    Is it possible to have a database with an executable file that work together on one machine or over a LAN without having Microsoft Access installed?

Thanks in advance, and I hope what I am asking is clear.
    ~Nevidea

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Creating A database accessable from multiple comps

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

It is possible to create an application in VB6 or VB.Net that connects to an Access database located in a shared network folder; it can use the tables and queries from the Access database. The users don't need to have Access installed. But you will have to create the entire application from scratch - there is no way to convert the existing forms and reports. And you won't be able to use the many handy features built into access.

If installing the full version of Access for each user is not possible, you might consider installing the runtime version. See Obtain and deploy the Access 2003 runtime - Access - Microsoft Office Online.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Creating A database accessable from multiple c

Thank you for your welcome Hans!

This is great news to me. I have been trying to figure this delima out for some time. I have messed around with incorporating VB code into my forms/queries a little bit, but mostly just to make it look nicer. What sort of commands would I be using to call the information into my executable (written from VB) from the .mdb database file?

~Nevidea

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Creating A database accessable from multiple c

If you want to create a bound form, you can place an ADO Data Control (adodc) on a VB6 form to connect to a table or query in an Access database. See the short series or articles Implementing an ADO Data Control with VB6.

You can use ADO (or DAO) to read/write data in an Access database directly instead of through a form.