There can be all sorts of legitimate reasons for software to launch, seemingly on its own.
But when an app frequently and repeatedly launches itself against your wishes, mangled file associations and flawed startup settings could be the cause.
Windows Media Center continually boots
Rune Stenvik’s wrestling with a Windows Media Center installation that keeps launching itself, unbidden.
- “My brother has (probably by mistake) installed Windows Media Center (WMC) on his Vista Home Premium PC.
“WMC opens on startup, even though I’ve unchecked all the appropriate boxes in the Startup and Windows Behavior settings. What’s more, WMC pops up every three or four seconds, and always on top. I can’t stop this program, and it’s d*#@#d annoying.
“After Googling for a solution, I did the following:
- Disabled Windows Media Center Services (via services.msc)
- Removed ehtray.exe from Startup Programs (via WinPatrol)
- Tried killing ehshell.exe, ehmsas.exe, and ehtray.exe in Active Tasks (via WinPatrol)
- In the Registry, under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft: entered a new key — WindowsMediaCenter — then entered a DWORD Value — MediaCenter — and set its value to 1.
“Result: WMC still pops up as before.