Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,198 Times in 1,043 Posts
    Nice article with some basic troubleshooting information - 2C0]Blue Screen of Death Survival Guide: Every Error Explained - Page 1 | Maximum PC
    Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a question that may be related and that you are likely to know the answer to.

I have crashes on one (old but up-to-date XP) computer on startup, and there is a crash description that flashes on the screen (top left corner) for a fraction of a second. I have tried photographing it, reading it segment by segment, and assorted other things, but pushing a button to hold it before it vanishes would be a great relief. Is there a trick that would accomplish this?

Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='773586' date='04-May-2009 06:33']I have a question that may be related and that you are likely to know the answer to.

I have crashes on one (old but up-to-date XP) computer on startup, and there is a crash description that flashes on the screen (top left corner) for a fraction of a second. I have tried photographing it, reading it segment by segment, and assorted other things, but pushing a button to hold it before it vanishes would be a great relief. Is there a trick that would accomplish this?[/quote]
    You have a setting to cause an automatic reboot in the event of a system crash.
    Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced tab -> click on the Startup and Recovery "Settings" button, and then remove the tick in the box about 2/3rds of the way down, in front of System Failure: "Automatically restart"
    Next time the system crashes the white text on the blue screen will stay, and you can write down on good old-fashioned pen-and-paper the information in the first two (perhaps three) lines, which enables discovery of why the system crashed in the first place!
    BATcher

Mission: identify what we do best and find more ways of doing less of it better