New Lounger
    Thanks

How do I get a screen res of 960x540 PLEASE?

OK. My `old` HDTV (Sharp AQUOS LC32P50E) only supports 960x540 res. official from Sharp support. Strange I know but thats the bottom line.

How can i get my Dell 755 pc to output that screen res? I had a play in Powerstrip but to no avail. My graphics card (Intel q35 chipset) supports res` higher and lower but this option isnt available. Am i in limbo?

Thanks guys

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,042 Posts
    I'm afraid that unless there is a specific driver for the device you are out of luck.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by totalnovice View Post
    960x540 ... Am i in limbo?
    Probably. But the good news is you can hook a 960x540 phone up to it!

Resolutions depend on the video driver and the capability of the monitor, and it's usually a mess if they're not matched. Any hacks I've seen have been to increase max resolution, not provide a specific in-between res.

It looks like the Dell 755 has integrated graphics? All you can do is update the Win7 driver, but I'm almost certain it won't help.
    ETA: or as Joe said, find a driver for the monitor [unlikely].

If you have a separate graphics card, upgrade its Win7 driver and have a look in its control panel software. I have a good NVidia card, and it doesn't allow me to pick any old resolution, but rather offers a bunch of stepped resolutions which my monitors support.

If you search hard enough, you might find some hacks to force the res via software trickery--but it won't be a hardware res so expect some fuzziness or distortion. I used PowerStrip over a decade ago, can't hurt to give it a try.
    Last edited by Lugh; 2015-08-15 at 15:33.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Looks like ive lost this battle but cheers for your help chaps

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Dell Optiplex 755 with Linux Mint 17.2 installed as the only OS. The lowest resolutions for the onboard video adapter are 1024x768, 832x624 and 800x600. All are 4:3 ratio [width x height]. I used the default install of the OS, didn't go looking for new drivers, presently have it set at 1440x900.
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-08-15 at 18:37.

Thanks
    What you need is the monitor.inf file for your monitor/TV - but Sharp don't have it listed as a download, maybe they didn't expect anyone to use it on a PC?

Checking my W7 default monitor.inf, Sharp doesn't even have an entry, neither does 960x540.

Thanks
    This may be a question for http://www.avsforum.com/

They have a lot of expertise although the focus is on bleeding edge.

PS if you get an answer post a link, or maybe even if you don't.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.