Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Win 7 - best and easiest way to copy data and settings from one standard local account to another?

    Short version:

    I'm running Win 7 Home Premium SP1.

    What is the best and easiest way to copy data and settings from one standard local account to another?


    More information\background:

    I'm running Win 7 Home Premium SP1 with updates current through September 2016 to Susan Bradley's recommendations. (I'm holding off on October forward to let the WinUpdate dust settle.) Win 7 was installed in spring 2010 and has been running since then without problems except as follows.

    I use Firefox (primary) and IE11 (secondary) web browsers. Over time, mostly within the past year or two, my local account has been losing functionality in these web browsers. That is, certain things no longer work that used to work fine in my local account. However, if I run either browser as Administrator the functionality returns.

    For example, the LLBean web site only partially loads and doesn't respond to clicks on links. Or I can no longer log in to a site because the login page doesn't finish loading. Or the log in page loads but doesn't respond to clicks on the button to submit log in credentials. Or a discussion forum that offers threaded or flat view no longer retains the choice after it is selected.

    This used to be a nuisance, but now it's getting to the point where several of my favorite sites no longer work unless I run the browser as Administrator which I prefer not to do for obvious reasons.

    I have MBAM products and a well regarded antivirus running all the time. When I run manual scans they return 0 threats. I periodically run other online anti-malware and anti-virus software and they return 0 threats.

    I run NoScript (keep it current) in Firefox, I have uninstalled it and it doesn't fix the problem. But whatever is going on affects both Firefox and IE11 anyway.

    I created a new local standard account. When I log on to this new account all the problem web sites mentioned above behave the way they should. So now I am considering copying over my data and settings (or maybe not settings?) to this new local account to replace my old account.

    What do you think?

    What is the best and easiest way to do this?

    Thanks!

    ggeinec

  2. #2
    Administrator jwitalka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,957
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked 822 Times in 737 Posts

  3. #3
    5 Star Lounger Lugh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    848
    Thanks
    211
    Thanked 108 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ggeinec View Post
    What is the best and easiest way to copy data and settings from one standard local account to another?
    After imaging your system drive, create new user Wilma.
    In Win Explorer, find the current user Fred, and copy everything under it [ie all sub-folders] to Wilma.

    I'm not sure that'll do it, but worth a shot.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6 (new 2017)
    Windows 10 Home x64 1703; Office 365 x32
    GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400
    256G SSD, 1TB HD

  4. #4
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the responses. I will check them out.

  5. #5
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I never got around to copying data and settings from my current local standard user account to a new local standard user account to see if that would fix my IE and Firefox problems. But yesterday I took the time to compare all IE settings between my account that had the problems and a new account that didn't. One difference was enable.dom.storage was off in my account but on in the new account. When I turned it on in my account the browser problems disappeared. So I checked Firefox, found the same situation, turned on enable.dom.storage in my account and the browser problems disappeared there as well.

    So, happy ending.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •