Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Should I update Intel system drivers in W Update?

I just checked Windows Update and there are 2 optional updates showing. They are both Intel system updates as follows:

INTEL - system - 3/13/2016 12:00:00AM - 11.0.0.1010 Intel system driver update released in March 2016 published 23/12/2016

Intel - system - 10/3/2016 12:00:00AM - 10.1.1.38 Intel driver update released in October 2016 published 01/01/2017

I have read lots of times that you shouldn't just update drivers but if these are the latest shouldn't I use them? If the answer is yes, should I run both or just the latest one?

I'm running a Lenovo desktop with W7 Home Premium Intel(R) core i5 - 2320CPU@3.00GHz

Any advice would be appreciated thank you.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 995 Posts
    Sometimes Windows Update is the method used to issue system updates, but if in doubt, create a system image onto external media first before installing them, although Win 7 should create a restore point before their installation - although you can't always rely on restore points remaining or being created in Win 7.

If you use an external HDD then you'll also need to create a System Repair disk to boot up with to navigate to the recovery environment to select restore from an image I created earlier.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,039 Posts
    I have ignored all Intel driver updates because mine runs without problems.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    There is a warning on Woody's site about all these particular Intel drivers showing up on WU.
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/315...am-101280.html

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

A1ex (2017-01-05),AussieMermaid (2017-01-04),CEScott (2017-03-20),Dick-Y (2017-01-03),Rick Corbett (2017-01-04),Sudo (2017-01-03)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran the Intel Driver Update Utility and no such driver showed up in the results.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Did this update screw me? Can it be undone?

Quote Originally Posted by sylviesinc View Post
    I just checked Windows Update and there are 2 optional updates showing. They are both Intel system updates as follows:

Intel - system - 10/3/2016 12:00:00AM - 10.1.1.38 Intel driver update released in October 2016 published 01/01/2017
    I know this post is a few months old, but I've been having a problem with my computer (64bit Win7) for a few months and I highly suspect this "update" (v10.1.1.38) to be the cause.

About a month ago, I suddenly can no longer Shutdown/Reboot from Windows (I must use the buttons on my PC to complete the task.) Note, problem does not occur in Safe Mode or Linux.

I've found that if I disable the driver for my video card (GTX670 in a PCIe slot) or ONE particular driver related to my TV tuner (ATI HDTV Wonder in a PCI slot), everything works fine again. But neither (obviously) is not an acceptable solution.

With some more experimenting, I discovered that if I rollback one or both of these Intel Device drivers, I can Shutdown/Reboot ONCE. And upon returning, if I put BACK those drivers, I can Shutdown/Reboot ONCE more. Extremely odd.

Checking my "Windows Update" History, these were the last two hardware related updates installed back in January. As noted by others, no KB number and no information on what changes they may have made or how to undo them (as I mentioned, rolling back the driver only helps one time.)

Finding this post is the first evidence I've seen that this update may be connected to my problem. Does anyone know what changes this update makes and how to undo them?

TIA.

Intel Port 5.jpg

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I suggest looking at How to roll back a bad driver update which mentions that specific Intel driver.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Sorry for the duplicate post. It was unintentional. I was following up on another similar post.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I suggest looking at How to roll back a bad driver update which mentions that specific Intel driver.
    Thanks, but I tried a rollback and it didn't solve my issue.

It looks like I'm going to have to rely on my last resort: restoring a backup from last July. It works, but has a few issues... most notably something causing a 90 second black screen before the login screen appears. No idea why and not sure how to fix, but at least once I'm in Windows, everything works properly. (I'll also have to reinstall some software and update my menus/desktop.)

Thx.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Did you try the Intel Driver Update Utility as recommended at my last link?

Thanks
    Before you go back to July, look for the 2 drivers on the Intel site. There may be newer versions there, which might be an improvement.

It's generally better practice to get new drivers from the hardware manufacturer rather than via Windows Update. Nothing against MS, but their version is often older than the latest due to the extra delay involved between release and incorporation into WU.

Another general good practice is not to update drivers unless you have a clear specific reason to do so. They're very tricky bits of software, especially for the crucial hardware like CPUs, chipsets, and media cards.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6 (new 2017)
    Windows 10 Home x64 1703; Office 365 x32
    GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400
    256G SSD, 1TB HD

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you try the Intel Driver Update Utility as recommended at my last link?
    Yes. It had been recommended to me in another thread about a week ago.

It gives me an error when I try to run it (even with AV and all background tasks & startup apps disabled.) So I instead restored the original drivers by hand and it didn't resolve the issue (other than the "one boot" oddity.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    Before you go back to July, look for the 2 drivers on the Intel site. There may be newer versions there, which might be an improvement.

Another general good practice is not to update drivers unless you have a clear specific reason to do so. They're very tricky bits of software, especially for the crucial hardware like CPUs, chipsets, and media cards.
    I'm having my doubts this is exclusively a "driver" issue now since rolling back the drivers only "fix" the issue for a single boot (and no, the driver is not updating on reboot.)

My suspicion now is that a sloppy "Windows Update" is at fault. MS likes to install WU patches on computers that don't need them (intended for people who plan to upgrade to 10, etc.) Problem is, there's no "undo".

I'm reluctant to go back to my July backup for another reason I forgot about: my Internet connection was upgraded since then and didn't work when I tried it. I don't know if getting it to work again would be a problem (and I've had enough of them for now.)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have a restore point older than the problem? You could try updating or rolling back the video card (GTX670) or TV tuner (ATI HDTV Wonder) drivers.

Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast