Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This week my answering machine recorded the following message: "It seems to be someone is trying to hijack and try to steal your personal information. If it's not fixed right away then your computer will become obsolete and your credential information may got compromised. If you are the one who is using Microsoft Windows in your computer then please call 6072893881, or press 1 to speak with security team now. Please ignore if we called you by mistake. Thanks." (Note their use of "may got compromised"! These crooks always seem to have bad grammar.)
    I did a reverse lookup for that phone number; it is shown as a VoIP account in Cortland, NY with a spam/fraud potential of "High Risk".
    Apparently those crooks think their intended victims will phone them back (I guess there are enough folks who are gullible enough to keep the money rolling in for those crooks). I'd like to be able to make thousands of return calls to that number just to tie up their system, or to play a recording of some sort chastising those scammers! But I know that would probably not accomplish anything.
    Oh, well... I may call them anyway just to mess with their minds. Maybe I'll ask them to troubleshoot a non-existent computer! (Yeah, that's a fun idea!)
    And I may enlist some friends to call them, too. I'll ask my friends to tell the "security team", "Rocky gave me your number".
    Last edited by RockE; 2017-09-07 at 06:02.
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    Oh, well... I may call them anyway just to mess with their minds. Maybe I'll ask them to troubleshoot a non-existent computer! (Yeah, that's a fun idea!)
    And I may enlist some friends to call them, too. I'll ask my friends to tell the "security team", "Rocky gave me your number".
    Although having fun is very tempting, you might actually be helping them out by confirming that your phone number has a human on the end who answers their call. They can then sell your more valuable phone number to some other bunch of telemarketers and/or scammers.
    Last edited by CEScott; 2017-09-07 at 14:03.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's certainly good advice for most folks, but I'm already on several scammers' list(s).
    I suppose that Post #15 is minor evidence of that (but it might conceivably get worse I suppose).
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I got the same recording on my answering machine this week and when the call came it, caller-ID indicated Cortland NY. I've gotten that call several times now.

With the Equifax data breach, scammers won't have to call you any more to get your credit card number; they'll already have it plus everything else they need to know about you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12