Lounger
    Thanks

Password Managers

I wasn't sure which forum to post this, so I opted for General Windows.

In the Windows Secrets Newsletter 2017-03-14, there was an article entitled 'Password Managers: The Pros and Cons'
    which reminded me of an experience I had last year when my PC went down. I additionally had a Tablet but it didn't accept a USB stick, which contained a backup of my (non-install) Password Manager. I could access Yahoo email as they would send a password reset code by text to my mobile. The problem was my ISP (Virgin Media) email account -without the password there was no access except if I could enter in the amount of my last bill. But as I had gone of to e-billing, no paper copy existed!
    So I took my USB stick to the local Library; their public PC didn't recognise it. Then it was off to the Central Reference Library to try their behind-the-counter PC. The files on the stick came up on the screen, but any executable items (like my password manager) were blocked for security.
    What next? Ah the local Internet cafe, a few pence (or cents) for 30 minutes. I didn't get very far, as my my ISP said something about not working with that particular browser. I gave up!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,117 Times in 1,040 Posts
    You should have phoned a friend.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use a program manager called PortableApps. The web site allows you to take an ordinary (non-bootable) USB stick and install programs onto it (password managers, virus checkers, office-type productivity apps). You plug the stick into any PC that allows you to run a program. I use Lastpass (with the database also stored on the USB stick), and it works anywhere.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,117 Times in 1,040 Posts
    PortableApps won't help if you can't read the USB or your program doesn't like the browser on the one you've borrowed.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    LastPass also stores your passwords in the cloud so if you can remember that one logon you can go to lastpass.com and retrieve the passwords you need.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My choice is KeePass. It is available for Windows in both installable and portable versions. There is also a version for Android which I use on my tablet.

I store my password file on Dropbox so I can access it and update it as needed. I also keep the portable version on a USB stick.