Star Lounger
    Thanks

Malwarebytes Premium v3.0.6.1469

I may be late to the party; I've been running Malwarebytes Premium for several years using the then latest version 2.x. (Also, was running MBAntiExploit (free) and MBAntiRansomware Beta.) All was well, never a problem. Received first solicitation March 18 for MB v3.0.6.1469. Checked it out and downloaded/installed. Life was good - BUT - now I find Windows Defender is turned off at PC startup. It has happened each day since the MB install. As that is the only change to my PC I believe the new MB v3x is the problem. I'm not getting too round around the problem yet but curious if any of you Loungers are seeing the same behavior with the newest MB which also rolls AntiExploit and AntiRansomware into the same package? (Installed on Windows 8.1 update 1.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 1,450 Posts
    O.J.

I'm using that version of MBP and it has no effect on Windows Defender which I verified is up and running via Settings-> Update & Security. In fact I get notifications a couple times of day that Windows needs updating and it's almost always Windows Defender updates.

I could find no setting in MBP that would cause this to happen either. I'd suggest some scans with online tools or Windows Defender Offline scan. Not to mention a MWP threat scan.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OJ: Running new MBAM Premium on Windows 10 (maybe that makes a difference?); Windows Defender starts normally during boot. Maybe check with the Malwarebytes tech forum?

Can you manually enable WD when it comes up turned-off?

Rob

Thanks
    My Emsisoft AM/AV also turns off WD in my Windows 7. WD gets turned off by almost every recent AV/AM combo in my Windows 7. Most of the time, I cannot get WD turned back on.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/
    Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    My Emsisoft AM/AV also turns off WD in my Windows 7. WD gets turned off by almost every recent AV/AM combo in my Windows 7. Most of the time, I cannot get WD turned back on.
    Roland: I think that's because you probably don't want two AV programs running at the same time. The same thing happens on Windows 10; AV programs disable WD. Why WD and Malewarebytes can coexist is interesting; it implies the products think they compliment each other or there's some sort of agreement between Malwarebytes and Microsoft.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Malwarebytes Premium v3.0.6.1469

It appears that a Malwarebytes setting contained in Settings, Application Tab, is the cause of Windows Defender being turned off at PC start. Within the Application Tab is the Windows Action Center. The default is "Let MB apply the best, etc, etc (recommended)". Selecting "Never register MB in the Windows Action Center" allows WinDefender to start normally at PC start. At least that is what I've seen - so far. I've tested the theory a number of times today and WinDefender has followed the MB Windows Action Center setting. Also, in the Windows (BROWSER) Action Center under Security when MB overrides WinDefender the "Virus Protection" and "Spyware and unwanted software protection" items show Malwarebytes protection labels whereas when WinDefender operates normally the two labels show WinDefender providing protection.

RetiredGeek: in checking your settings what do you find in the MB settings, Application Tab under Windows Action Center? Is the recommended setting selected or the "never register" ticked?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 1,450 Posts
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMainframeGuy View Post
    Roland: I think that's because you probably don't want two AV programs running at the same time...
    Agreed! I was indicating that the turning off of WD is quite common.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/
    Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The change in Malwarebytes settings, Application Tab, to "Never register MB in the Windows Action Center" has worked for my application. Cold starts, updating, full and quick scans - all normal operation. Case closed and thank you for your input/help.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMainframeGuy View Post
    Why WD and Malewarebytes can coexist is interesting; it implies the products think they compliment each other or there's some sort of agreement between Malwarebytes and Microsoft.
    Maybe Malwarebytes was written to work around WD, while other products were written to replace WD. If true, that would explain why Malwarebytes doesn't disable WD.

WD isn't turning itself off; it's the other program which decides whether or not WD needs to be turned off.