Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently read an article that had experts giving their input on this privacy problem and what it means for us. It was quite enlightening. Here is the link to it : https://www.purevpn.com/blog/interne...acy-questions/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My ISP (Cox Communications) has already stated that regardless of this ruling they will not sell browsing history. I'm hoping they're sincere about that. This whole thing stinks and not to throw unnecessary politics into this, I'm sure nobody ran on a "we'll let your ISP sell your browsing data so vote for me" platform and having to pay for a VPN service to protect your privacy stinks even more.

I hope politicians pay for this in the next election.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe now's the time to start using encrypted email?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 1,027 Posts
    What sort of encrypted mail did you have in mind?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Startmail.com looks good to me. Not only do they encrypt it end to end (by sending a prompt email to the recipient, so that encryption can be enacted on the receiving end), but they also house everything in Europe, where privacy laws are strong.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been experimenting with private e-mail using my corporate system. Internally it looks like Exchange handles the privacy functions. When the e-mails leave the corporate system it uses a 3rd party provider called Privacy Post.

Recipients of those secured external e-mails receive a generic e-mail telling them to log in to a Privacy Post web address. I've had trouble with this part of the system. A couple of people couldn't handle the Privacy Post login. One person tried to send me an attachment and that failed entirely; Privacy Post stripped the attachment out and didn't even add a message telling me it had done so. Sigh.

It looks like a bit of a Rube Goldberg system, to be honest.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Like in the UK, I guess a lot of you in the US will have your ISP's DNS hard-coded or inaccessible in your routers to prevent you from using alternative DNS services like, for example, UncensoredDNS. This makes it incredibly easy for your ISP to gather information about your browsing/searching and difficult - if not impossible - to protect yourself without paying for VPN or (yuk) using Tor.

So how about doing it the other way around, i.e. providing your ISP with (mostly) fake data by obfuscating your searches and browsing? For example, Internet Exploder is eminently scriptable but I prefer to use Firefox. This means that I should be able to browse using Firefox in the foreground whilst a script is directing Internet Exploder to carry out random searches/browsing in the background.

OK, so it would mean a bit of coding plus the effort of creating lists of URLs... but the scope is there to seriously skew collected data and, in effect, render it valueless. Like 'IP block-lists' there could be download sites for lists of the latest and daftest URLs, including searches.

"It's Tuesday so I'll direct my URL randomizer to the list of Chinese sites; tomorrow it'll be Russian sites, etc." Hmm, probably not a good idea unless you want NSA/DHS to get interested... try France and Italy instead.

I wonder whether someone will market a really cheap 'ISP Data-Faka', based on a low-energy device like a Raspberry Pi, that you plug into a port on your router and it just sits there 24/7 creating a random search and/or visiting a random URL at scheduled intervals.

I don't know whether it would be a good thing or a bad thing... but it would skew SEO results.

Just musing...
    I've never had any problem using another DNS service with my ISP. I think they track you whatever DNS you use. I've installed VPN software but if I understand correctly not all VPN software is alike, meaning not all companies may protect your data in the same way. I think it would be inaccessible to your ISP but potentially available to the VPN company. Someone more knowledgeable may want to comment on this.

Lounger
    Thanks
    If you really want to randomize content use a web crawler.
    https://www.keycdn.com/blog/web-crawlers/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMainframeGuy View Post
    Rick: I never heard of Tor before but saw a CNN article on it this evening suggesting it as a privacy solution. Apparently you don't think much of it; can you share why? I'm loath to have to spend money on a VPN solution just so I can have some privacy.

Not to make this too political, here's something I heard about this evening:

http://resistancereport.com/resistan...kers-internet/

Rob
    It's majorly S-L-O-W

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12