Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Letter to the Editor

Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I am not sure if that would result in an answer, but I would suggest that you try emailing the editor, at editor@windowssecrets.com.
    Thanks and - Done.
    For everybody's information here the text of my email (empty lines edited out for space and a typo):
    To whom it may concern:
    I want to direct your kind attention to this thread in the WS Lounge.
    IMHO it should be part of your job description to read these sort of things and to react by responding with your and/or Penton's reply to the important questions and doubts raised there.
    I sincerely hope to get ANY reply, at least a confirmation of having received this communication.
    Sincerely
    Enough said.
    Last edited by eikelein; 2017-05-07 at 07:02. Reason: typo
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

Thanks

Kicking myself

Lance Witless strikes again!

You can use Group Policy no matter which version of Windows you run.
    https://windowssecrets.com/windows-se...-group-policy/

Another trash article, I even wondered if installing the Template would some how activate GPE on WX Home. Of course a waste of time like most of the WSNL articles these days. Kicking myself for forking over the $25. Bad fingers step away from the keyboard and PUT DOWN the credit card!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

PhilI (2017-06-24)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll be referring to the creator's update this week so I'll link to that other column.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SusanBradley For This Useful Post:

satrow (2017-05-22)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Regarding Susan Bradley's 05/25/17 column about disabling SMB v1, I have 4 systems at home. One Win7 Home, a Win 7 Pro, a Win10 Home and a Win10 Pro. Each of them have specific uses and are on a wired network.

When the WannaCry fix of disabling SMB v1 showed up, I check all systems and found that only the Win10 Pro had it enabled. I shut it off and presto!! I lost the ability to map network drives to any other hardware on my network including all the other machines, a Synology NAS box and my networked Epson printer.

I spent a week researching and trying to make the mapped drives work on the Win10 Pro box an eventually tried reenabling SMB v1. All mappings work fine now. I just this evening read your 5/25/17 column and it confirmed that I had found the problem.

So, in my case, I MUST have SMB v1 enabled to have my mapped drives! Fortunately I keep my systems patched and run Bitdefender Internet Security on all of them. I also make regular backups of every system.

What is the real danger from WannaCry and its variants? Disabling SMB v1 is NOT a workable safeguard for me.
    Last edited by rjhodges; 2017-05-27 at 03:13.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    On my Windows 7 Pro Computers, none of the SMB /CIFS versions even show up in the "Turn Windows Features On or Off" dialog.
    Last edited by Quiberon; 2017-05-27 at 14:48.

Thanks
    I also tested Susan Bradley's suggestion to disable SMB 1.0 using her method:

Click on the Search option and search for "Windows Features"
    Look for the result "Turn Windows Features on and off."
    Look for SMB 1.0/CIFS File sharing support checked
    Uncheck the box
    Reboot your computer to take effect
    I immediately lost all access to every computer on my local network. The Windows 10 (1607) computers were using SMB 3.1.1 and the NAS was using SMB 1.5. None of them would work with SMB 1.0/CIFS File sharing support UNCHECKED.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Neither do the 3 of mine. Learned that the outlined procedure apparently does not apply to Win 7. Instead, Microsoft outlines, to me, a rather daunting procedure for doing so and I have not tried it.
    Search for "disable smb1" or something similar; one of the first results should be a link to Microsoft's procedure for disabling all smb versions for Win 7,8, & 10. The Win 7 smb1 disabling process is in that article. The Microsoft article# (not KB) is 2696547.
    If there is a simpler way in Win 7, please us know.
    Hope that this helps.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My apologies, due to last minute issues the newsletter is missing some key info about patch side effects.

Be aware of the following issues:
    1703 receives KB4022725
    1607 receives KB4022715
    1511 receives KB4022714
    1507 receives KB4022727

Late breaking info: These Windows 10 updates are causing issues printing frames through IE 11 as noted in this post. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-d8d9ae23a477 Please test and prepare to uninstall this update as needed.

Late breaking info: The Windows 7 4022719 updates are causing issues printing frames through IE 11 as noted in this post. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-d8d9ae23a477 Please test and prepare to uninstall this update as needed.

3191898 – Security fixes for Outlook 2007. Note: This update is causing issues opening attachments, please hold off installing at this time.

3203467 – Security fixes for Outlook 2010. Note: This update is causing issues opening attachments, please hold off installing at this time.

3191938 – Security fixes for Outlook 2013. Note: This update is causing issues opening attachments, please hold off installing at this time.

3191932 – Security fixes for Outlook 2016. Note: This update is causing issues opening attachments, please hold off installing at this time.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SusanBradley For This Useful Post:

Mr Humbug (2017-07-12)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the update Susan, and for the original advice.

May I pose a question please in relation to all the Patch Watch articles? You always list separately the Office security and non-security updates and recommend that the non-security ones are put on hold temporarily pending your further advice. The implication is that the security ones should be installed straightaway, but you never actually give any recommendation for those beyond simply listing them. Is that something you could clarify in future please?

Thanks as always for your advice, it's much appreciated.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandor View Post
    Thanks for the update Susan, and for the original advice.

May I pose a question please in relation to all the Patch Watch articles? You always list separately the Office security and non-security updates and recommend that the non-security ones are put on hold temporarily pending your further advice. The implication is that the security ones should be installed straightaway, but you never actually give any recommendation for those beyond simply listing them. Is that something you could clarify in future please?

Thanks as always for your advice, it's much appreciated.
    Unless there is a specific problem with a security update, i do recommend you install them right away. The outlook ones this month are causing issues - https://support.office.com/en-us/art...F-B3B89369ED9B so that one you'll want to use the workaround or uninstall that update. Due to word being used so often in malware attacks I err on the side of installing right away rather than waiting. Non security ones are just that - non security and thus you can hold back on installing or even install them the FOLLOWING month when you are doing your security updating.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SusanBradley For This Useful Post:

Tandor (2017-06-16)

New Lounger
    Thanks

How to Add and Modify User Accounts in Windows 7

Having just read the article, "How to Add and Modify User Accounts in Windows 7" By Lance Whitney on July 6, 2017 in Quick Tips, Top Story, Windows 7, Windows Secrets.

The tagline states;

In Windows 7, you can create and customize accounts all from Control Panel.
    I must take issue with the first paragraph;

Adding user accounts in Windows 10 is a relatively straightforward process. You can add and manage accounts from the Accounts screen under Settings. In Windows 7, the process isn’t difficult but it is different. You create and modify accounts from the good, old-fashioned Control Panel. You can add new accounts, change their names, change their passwords, change the account type between a standard user and an administrator, and create a password reset disk for your own account. For those of you still running Windows 7, let’s go through the steps for creating and tweaking user accounts.
    It is NOT Windows 7 that is different, The garbage tip that is Windows 10 is the later version. Therefore, it is Windows 10 that is different.

I find setting up accounts in Windows 7 far easier than the convoluted mess in Windows 10, that has you switching between the dumb settings !!app and various older dialogs that are still in control panel.

The sooner Windows 10 dies a similar death, (One can wish) to Vista & Windows 8, the better.

I refuse to use an operating system that for consumers is forever in beta, I will not be a test guinea pig for Microsoft.
    Last edited by Quiberon; 2017-08-02 at 01:00.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan, thanks as always for the new Patch Watch article dated 13th July regarding the July updates, but I confess to being a tad confused.

I run a couple of home computers using Windows 7 and have therefore been offered the Security Monthly Quality Rollup KB4025341. I can find no mention of this in the body of the article, but in the Problem-Patch Chart it is listed with the recommendation that it is installed subject to an asterisk that links to a further recommendation "Hold: Please note if you've installed these updates and are not seeing any side effects you can leave the updates installed. I'm only recommended holding off if you are severely impacted by these side effects." But what are we supposed to do if we haven't yet installed this update - hold or install? What are the side effects? Why no mention of this update in the article?

What is the exact position with this one please?

Lounger
    Thanks
    To the Editors:

I would like to comment on the August 1 Windows Secrets Article "Down with Passwords: There’s More Than One Way to Log On to Windows 10", by Michael Lasky, https://windowssecrets.com/windows-s...to-windows-10/

In the article Michael says: "If you’re going to use Windows 10, Microsoft requires a Microsoft account. There’s no way around this."

I do not believe that this is correct, as there is an option (albeit difficult to find) that allows creation and login via a local account.

Jeff
    Last edited by Barker13; 2017-08-01 at 21:28.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There is also an error in the Stop Story" article, "How To: Control your Windows Startup Programs" by Lance Whitney.

He states;

Right off the bat, Windows tries to give you a helping hand. Along with the name, publisher, and status listed for each program is a column for Startup impact. This indicates how disabling this program would affect Windows. The impact can be None, Low, Medium, or High. A None or Medium typically means itís safe to disable the program. A Medium means itís borderline. And a High means itís best to leave it alone.
    Surely it should be; A None or Low typically means it's safe to disable the program.

That's two errors in the same newsletter, just shows how the standard of Windows Secrets has deteriorated since Penton took over.

The only good articles now are the "Patch Watch" by Susan Bradley.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My understanding (which I have just checked on the internet - so still no guarantees!!) is that the Startup Impact is a measure of the Performance impact of each particular startup to the overall startup time. So there is NO view on what can or can't be disabled 'safely' without checking on the internet. However if you are suffering from slow startup times, then the entries you want to look at first are the high impact ones.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast