Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

WS Columns general comments/questions

For those who may not be able to create a Topic here, please reference the date and (sub)section of the topic you're commenting/querying on.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks satrow.

Susan Bradley wrote a Patch Watch piece entitled "Here comes the Creators Update" in the newsletter on 13th April. It hasn't yet appeared in the list of Patch Watch articles here:-

https://windowssecrets.com/category/patch-watch/

Is there any chance please of someone adding it to that list and keeping the list up-to-date? I'd ask the Editor about it but I think we've all pretty much given up on getting any replies from that position if it even still exists.

Thanks for your continued efforts tho!

Thanks
    Sorry Tandor, the WSL staff have no mod/admin level access to the Patch Watch column, we only have read-only access like yourself.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok satrow, thanks. I guess we'll just have to hope that at some point Penton appoint an Editor who can spare 10 minutes a week on the site. The frustration is because I like to check that list from time to time to ensure I've not missed a Patch Watch, or to catch one before it's published in the newsletter, and that option is currently no longer open. September's subscription renewal is looking increasingly in doubt, sadly. It's not like the cost is other than trivial, but I don't like to waste even pennies where they're not wanted.

New Lounger
    Thanks

2017-04-25 Newsletter not available online

As I don't appear to be able to start a thread of my own, I am commenting hear.

When clicking on the link 'Click to see the newsletter online' in todays newsletter email, all that shows up is;

"Not Found
    Apologies, but no results were found for the requested archive. Perhaps searching will help find a related post."

Also the newsletter is not listed here; 'https://windowssecrets.com/newsletter/'

Thanks
    Quiberon, Welcome

I cannot comment on the Newsletter link, I don't receive it.

I don't see a more recent Newsletter than the April 20th edition listed either.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiberon View Post
    Also the newsletter is not listed here; 'https://windowssecrets.com/newsletter/'
    The latest newsletter is now available at https://windowssecrets.com/newsletter/

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mo.eu For This Useful Post:

Quiberon (2017-04-26),satrow (2017-04-26)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Can not post!

Hello;
    I just read "How to Improve the Performance of Windows" in the newsletter dated 2017-05-02.
    I strongly feel the need to comment but in forum "Windows Secrets Columns" the web page says under Posting Permissions "You may not post new threads".
    WHY?
    I am certain that I have been able to do that in the past.
    Replies appreciated, TIA.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

Lounger
    Thanks

WS Newsletter dated 2017-05-02

Well, I'm afraid for me this is the end. If this content is what the authors and publishers believe that their supposedly tech-savvy readers want to see then they're very much mistaken. It has become the ladybird book of the bleeding obvious.

Goodbye.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skier641 For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2017-05-04),JorgeA (2017-05-06),Lugh (2017-05-04),PhilI (2017-06-24)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Even Susan's Patch Watch isn't nearly as useful as it used to be, now that Microsoft is bundling each month's Windows 7 updates into one mammoth update where you can't pick and choose which individual patches to hide or wait on.

Hope Fred Langa can come back, he's the only reason I might renew the newsletter. But even he alone may not be enough.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JorgeA For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2017-05-06),oblongslim (2017-09-10)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,421 Times in 1,232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eikelein View Post
    Hello;
    I just read "How to Improve the Performance of Windows" in the newsletter dated 2017-05-02.
    I strongly feel the need to comment but in forum "Windows Secrets Columns" the web page says under Posting Permissions "You may not post new threads".
    WHY?
    I am certain that I have been able to do that in the past.
    Replies appreciated, TIA.
    Actually you are mistaken about that, Eike. Only the WSL editor created topics there, it has been like that since I can remember. It was possible to reply to threads, but regular users could not create new threads.

Nothing has changed, thus, other than for the fact that there are no new threads being created for articles in the newsletter, since the departure of Tracey Capen.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Agreed ruirib, but that's the point really, isn't it? When a newsletter is published, a comments topic should be created for each article in it. If there are admins who are willing to do that but the setup doesn't currently allow it and Penton's (Imaginary? I haven't seen any activity and haven't had any reply to my note to the editor and am not aware of anyone else getting one either) editor isn't able or willing to do so, then perhaps Penton could be persuaded by the admins to allow them to set up the topics on the basis that few if any subscribers are going to bother to renew on present standards.

Perhaps Penton are just waiting on the site to die through lack of attention, but I hope not and if there are people willing to lobby to keep it going then I think we should encourage that. The site is definitely worth saving or none of us would still be here!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tandor For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2017-05-06)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Actually you are mistaken about that, Eike. Only the WSL editor created topics there, it has been like that since I can remember.
    Rui,
    Thank you for the fast reply. You are correct, I did not express that correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Nothing has changed, thus, other than for the fact that there are no new threads being created for articles in the newsletter, since the departure of Tracey Capen.
    A VERY SAD state of affairs.
    Why does the new editor not do that?

In general:
    That means we have "to swallow" the articles without any chance to comment or correct things that we consider clearly misleading or in error.

My impression is that Penton, the not so new overlords here, will let this formerly outstanding source of information and discussion dwindle into oblivion.

A big loss for the community - but hey, has "big" business ever really cared about such things?

Losing another illusion it seems...

Let me then in this location say THANK YOU to all the moderators and contributors that still donate their time, energy and expertise here.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eikelein For This Useful Post:

JorgeA (2017-05-06),Lugh (2017-05-08),PhilI (2017-06-24),satrow (2017-05-06),wavy (2017-05-07)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That means we have "to swallow" the articles without any chance to comment or correct things that we consider clearly misleading or in error.
    In fairness to satrow, that was the express purpose of his creating this topic, to allow us to comment and in doing so to state clearly which article we are commenting on. However, a separate topic per article would clearly be easier to follow and hopefully that can be arranged one way or another. In the meantime, I'm very grateful to satrow for giving us something rather than nothing!

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tandor For This Useful Post:

JBurk (2017-06-04),RiverKing (2017-09-21),satrow (2017-05-06)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,421 Times in 1,232 Posts
    Rui,
    Thank you for the fast reply. You are correct, I did not express that correctly.

A VERY SAD state of affairs.
    Why does the new editor not do that?

In general:

My impression is that Penton, the not so new overlords here, will let this formerly outstanding source of information and discussion dwindle into oblivion.

A big loss for the community - but hey, has "big" business ever really cared about such things?

Losing another illusion it seems...

Let me then in this location say THANK YOU to all the moderators and contributors that still donate their time, energy and expertise here.
    Eike,

Unfortunately I cannot reply to your question about the new editor not creating topics, as I don't know the answer. Too many things changed too fast around here and no information was given to anyone on the Lounge staff about it.

We still have the same control over the Lounge that we had before, so we just keep doing what we did before as Lounge moderators and admins.

I am not sure if that would result in an answer, but I would suggest that you try emailing the editor, at editor@windowssecrets.com. Hopefully you will get some of the answers you are looking for.

Sorry if I cannot be of more help.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

RockE (2017-05-06),satrow (2017-05-06)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast