Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanks for that, Pete.

You have a Sticky: SSDs and NVMe SSDs: is TRIM functional on your SSD?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

petesmst (2017-04-24)

Thanks
    Thanks for your assistance. (This has been an interesting, if not a rather tortuous learning curve for me!)
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Mobo (Military Class V); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 500GB SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVME SSD; 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2016 Prof "Click to Run" (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    I suspect it's been interesting for all contributors to the topic

Thank you for persevering with it and reporting your findings.

Thanks
    Interesting indeed!
    I just saw this article about forcing TRIM if you are suspect as to it's working.
    When to defrag a hard drive, TRIM an SSD and perform other storage tasks, or not
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/31884...tml#tk.rss_all

Optimize and TRIM

Windows uses Optimizing as a catch-all phrase to cover both defragging hard drives and trimming SSDs. The Optimize console is available by right-clicking a drive letter in Windows Explorer, then selecting Properties > Tools > Optimize. With hard drives, Optimize will do a minor defrag or file system check; with SSDs it forces the TRIM command.
    Sending a TRIM command to an SSD simply tells it that it’s time to clean house. Normally, you’ll only find the command by that name in the utilities that accompany SSDs ,such as Samsung’s Magician shown below. Trimming erases cells and blocks of NAND that no longer contain data, and consolidates data into fewer locations.

Because these operations take an eternity in computer terms (anywhere from a couple of seconds to a minute), they are often deferred until the drive isn’t busy. Or in many cases, until explicitly invoked via the TRIM command. Forcing TRIM can restore most of your SSD’s missing performance

Thanks
    And if the driver doesn't support Trim?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    And if the driver doesn't support Trim?
    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't from W7 on support SSD and TRIM?

Thanks
    Yes, but to be active, Trim needs good drivers. Some drivers don't allow the pass-through of Trim, W7 default SATA drivers are fine, Trim works through them - but not all drivers from the chipset companies support Trim and perhaps not all chipsets support Trim.

So, if you buy a new PC, do a fresh Windows install on an existing PC or install new/updated chipset drivers, whether manually via the maker or via Windows Update, you need to check that Trim is functioning correctly.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,039 Posts
    You would expect new machines / drivers to support TRIM, but certainly not older ones - it doesn't hurt to check.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    My W7 computer ( built in 2013 ) evidently had the correct setup when I installed my SSD https://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...o-SSD-question .
    I used the "Magician" software without "Rapid Mode". I never realized that some set-ups wouldn't recognize the SSD but after following everyones advice, TRIM Check said it was running.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123