Thanks

Unable to see second hard drive in Oracle VB installed OS

I have Oracle Virtual Box installed in Xubuntu Linux. In the VB, I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.

On this computer, I have two hard drives: one is for the OS (Linux), and the other is for my data.

The problem is, I can't get Windows (in the VB) to see the second hard drive. I have created a shared drive (in the VB settings) pointing to the second hard drive; but how can I get Windows to see the 2nd drive? Or is there another method I should follow?

Thanks.

Jim

Thanks
    Jim

If the HDD the Windows VM can't see is the linux drive, it may be because Windows does not natively read a EXT file system which linux is often found on. IF that is the case there are drivers and programs that can allow access to read.(Writing is NOT recommended). I can not recommend any, I am using a Fat32 file partition to allow transfer betwix Linux and Windows.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    I can see both drives just fine in Linux. And when I go into the settings for my Windows 7 VB session, I can create a share for the second drive, which means that the VB can see the drive. But for some reason, I haven't been able to figure out how to get the Windows VB session to be able to see it.

Someone mentioned Guest Additions. Perhaps if I install that, I'll be able to resolve this.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I can see both drives just fine in Linux. And when I go into the settings for my Windows 7 VB session, I can create a share for the second drive, which means that the VB can see the drive. But for some reason, I haven't been able to figure out how to get the Windows VB session to be able to see it.
    See it? As a lettered drive? Read the contents?? I am still not sure exactly what can't do what
    Someone mentioned Guest Additions. Perhaps if I install that, I'll be able to resolve this.

Thanks for your suggestion.
    As I recall Guest Additions are a must for a lot of functionality for VB.
    Been a while since I played around with VB.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Trying to find Guest Additions. It's not easy to find.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 1,018 Posts

Thanks
    Like VMware Workstation, you'll need the 'shared folder' support for VirtualBox provided by the Guest Additions.

It looks like installing VirtualBox's Guest Additions is similar to installing VMware Workstation's VMWare Tools, i.e. by mounting a virtual CD image from within the Guest OS. You should already have the ISO (called VBoxGuestAdditions.iso) in the installation folder of VirtualBox.

Have a look at Chapter 4. Guest Additions, particularly section 4.2.1.1, for more info.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2017-04-23 at 03:59.

Thanks
    I have found that Guest Additions is already installed, but all I can see when I'm in Windows (in the VM) is its own virtual drive -- I can't see any other contents of the Linux drive, and I can't see the secondary hard drive. And I haven't been able to find the Windows virtual drive (and see the contents of it) when I'm outside of the VM and in Linux.

I'll look into the shared folder support. That sounds promising.

A further detail: I disabled networking in the VM, so that I don't have to worry about doing updates on Windows. I can't imagine that having an effect here, but I've seen stranger things.

Lounger
    Thanks
    At the moment I have a new Ubuntu build UEFI and haven't installed Virtual Box for a Windows vm yet. I have two SATA harddrives installed and I believe the primary is Extended FAT and the second is NTFS. I'll install VB and Win7 and see if I run into the same problem. Ubuntu no longer recognizes NTFS initially so I had to install a package for it to see the drive. I don't remember having a problem with Windows seeing either drive however but it's been a few months. I'll let you know what I discover.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Suggest a test:
    1. Plug in an USB thumb drive which has disposable storage data.
    2. In VM-Win7, grab the USB. If cannot read it, format it to Fat32.
    3. Should be able to read/write to the USB drive.
    4. Release the USB from VM.
    5. From Linux parent, format the USB drive to EXT.
    6. In VM-Win7, grab the USB
    7. Try to read the USB drive. Should see a response something like this:
    " ... need to format the device ..."
    That means VM-Win7 can see the USB drive but not recognizing the format.