Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    BTW convention says install XP first [as] the old OS may not recognize the newer boot mechanism in W7.
    Understood, but sometimes I have still had to use BCDedit to add XP (ntldr) when Win7 had either missed it or ignored it. Interestingly, however, just yesterday a fresh installation of Win98se added itself to XP's boot.ini and even made "C:/" (itself) the default selection!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leejosepho View Post
    I have only ever installed Windows 7 on a SATA HDD (Ch2 or CH3), and yet Windows 7 has nevertheless written something to each-and-every bootable drive -- all of them everywhere -- in order the change the above by pushing its own drive to the top.
    note: I once inadvertently left my Win98 startup floppy in the FDD drive and Windows 7 even made that floppy non-bootable.
    Whenever I do a clean install of any version of Windows, I ALWAYS unplug all drives except for the one that I want to install Windows to. Then, after I have completely finished with the install, I reconnect all drives. That's the only way I can be sure that the Windows install touches only the one drive.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Lee,

You may what to hide the Non-booted OS drive from the booted OS via this registry hack. This prevents problems with things like system restore points overwriting each other, etc. Of course this assumes that you have no DATA on either of the drives that needs to be accessed from the other OS.

Hide Drive from View
    Key: HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\Offline
    Create a new DWord entry with:
    Name: \DosDevices\C:
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 1

You need to do this on each booted OS to hide the other, obviously changing the appropriate drive letter.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Lee,

Hide Drive from View
    Name: \DosDevices\[COLOR="#00FFFF"]C:[/COLOR]

You need to do this on each booted OS to hide the other, obviously changing the appropriate drive letter.

HTH
    RG would that not be something other than c: ? Each OS normally sees itself as on c: drive.
    BTW have had much grief with WX and older windows on accessible drives on same box...
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 1,450 Posts

HTH
    I believe I covered that!

On my dual boot laptop the Non-Booted drive shows up as E:

Before Applying the registry hack.
    DualBoot.JPG

Registry Hack:
    MountedDevicesReg.JPG

After Applying the registry hack.
    DualBoot2.JPG

Error message when attempting to access E:
    Win7MountedError.JPG

Note: The exact same registry hack was applied to both the Win10 registry and Win7 Registry. Of course depending on how your particular installations assign drive numbers you'll have to determine the letter to use for each of the Non-Booted drives.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Whenever I do a clean install of any version of Windows, I ALWAYS unplug all drives except for the one that I want to install Windows to. Then, after I have completely finished with the install, I reconnect all drives. That's the only way I can be sure that the Windows install touches only the one drive.
    That can be fine as long as any Windows older than Win7 is still later always found at 'multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS' (as with XP, for example), but you cannot install XP to 'multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS' or even 'multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS' (any drive or partition other than the first) unless the ultimately-preceding 'multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\whatever' is also connected at the time of the installation. To do that, you would need some way to later change Windows drive-letter assignments prior to booting anything.

In the case of this thread, however, problems are appearing long after any installation when Win7 updates begin writing something to all drives in order to dominate. To stop that, all drives other than the Win7 drive would have to be completely disconnected, meaning merely hidden during startup or having no drive letter assigned would not be enough.
    Last edited by leejosepho; 2017-05-24 at 08:33.

Thanks
    Lee,

You may what to hide the Non-booted OS drive from the booted OS via this registry hack. This prevents problems with things like system restore points overwriting each other, etc. Of course this assumes that you have no DATA on either of the drives that needs to be accessed from the other OS.

Hide Drive from View
    Name: \DosDevices\C:

HTH
    I would guess that might actually work, but the complication would be as you have mentioned since I have data partitions being shared by all operating systems. However, the updates causing the problems are being installed during bootup...and that means the registry setting might not yet be active at that moment to show the other drive inaccessible. I do not know the details of "Offline", but the fact that a user cannot access the drive while the OS is running does not guarantee Windows will never access it at all.

edit to add screenshot...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by leejosepho; 2017-05-24 at 09:14. Reason: add screenshot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12