4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hardwiring Linux Mint to router

I've been connecting my Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3 laptop to my modem/router by way of WiFi. This has worked well for me but the modem/router is hard wired to my Win 7 desktop computer. I originally installed my ISP's software from a CD to the desktop. This software is made for MS Windows only. I'm wondering now, if the need arises, I will need to install Linux software in the laptop so as to be able to plug directly into the router. As far as I know, my ISP does not offer Linux software. So my question is, does anyone have an answer as to how this might be done?

I'm thinking that the day will come when I'll be forced into using Linux for all Web surfing and email, and I'll want it connected by cable to the router without any help from MS Windows. Any help with this will be much appreciated.

Thanks
    I've never heard of a need for software to connect a device running Linux Mint by cable to a router (nor for Windows either).

Linux Mint will just auto-sense the wired connection and get an IP address from the router (unless you have DHCP turned off on the router, which would be unusual... but not unheard of).

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    I have Linux Xubuntu, but I'll bet it's the same on this issue as Linux Mint.

When I installed Linux on my desktop computer (it has an internal wifi adapter), it automatically found my home network, asked for the password, and I was immediately connected. I didn't have to install anything.

I then switched to an Ethernet cable, since I was close to the router. I plugged in the cable, and I was immediately connected. I didn't have to install anything.

On an issue as basic and universal as connecting with an Ethernet cable, Linux is set up to just make it happen, with little to no intervention on your part.

Linux Mint has the reputation of being one of the easiest, if not the easiest, Linux. Therefore, I have no doubt that you will be able to connect either via wifi or via an Ethernet cable with no trouble at all.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both for that info. There are some things I'm just not sure about and rather than mess things up, I ask questions. I'm so glad that I have this site to come to.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CEScott For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2017-05-05)

Thanks
    Since you already have Mint Cinnamon on your laptop, you could disconnect from wireless and plug in with an Ethernet cable, as a test.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you mrjimphelps. One concern I have is that if I directly connect the laptop with Linux into the router, will that mess up anything with the router to Win 7 desktop setup/settings, etc. Also, do I need to get another Ethernet cable or can I just disconnect the existing one and plug it into the laptop for a test? Please bear with me, I'm not very experienced with networking, cabling, etc., and don't have a network or LAN. Thanks.

Thanks
    Plugging in your Linux laptop via an Ethernet cable will have no effect on the Windows computer.

You can use the same cable or a different one; it makes no difference in terms of being able to connect the laptop.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you very much.