4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

AVG Updates Program & adds their Zen

Just recently AVG automatically updated my 2016 AVG Free Antivirus program completely behind the scenes, removed the older version and installed their new version for 2017. I found this a bit unsettling because I got NO notice this was going to happen, and didn't even get a UAC warning. What really ticked me off was that they included their darned Zen program in with it. You can't uninstall the Zen program with out uninstalling the Antivirus program first. I can't figure why they're pushing this Zen program so hard.

I went through this the last time when I updated the AVG manually. I downloaded what appeared to be just the Antivirus program but got the Zen installed without asking and without my approval. I went to the place where last year I got just the Antivirus program, but this year I can't find it. Just thought I'd pass this information on to those of you who may use AVG Free.

Thanks
    If it's any consolation (which I'm sure it won't be ), Avira Free has done exactly the same, i.e. added 'Avira Connect' as a 'dashboard' for other Avira programs. Gah!

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    AVG was bought by Avast last year, so policy changes—for better or worse—are to be expected. Avast will want to find some way to recoup the reported $1+ billion they paid, so it's a safe bet that since AVG is free, you're the product
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6 (new 2017)
    Windows 10 Home x64 1703; Office 365 x32
    GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400
    256G SSD, 1TB HD

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I guess this is what's considered "progress" these days. I was able to modify the desktop shortcut icon to direct it to bring up only the antivirus program, and the Zen program doesn't seem to use up memory or system resources. So I guess I'll just resign myself to what must be. It's still quicker than any other antivirus I've tried so I'm sticking with it for now. You're right Lugh - we definitely are the product.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanks a lot for sharing such great info

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rock17881 View Post
    Thanks a lot for sharing such great info
    I am surprised that a banned member is able to reply in a thread. Is that normal?
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

Thanks
    He wasn't banned when he did the post....
    Eliminate spare time: get on the Internet!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

satrow (2017-07-11)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    He wasn't banned when he did the post....
    Thanks for the prompt reply (which should have been obvious but somehow wasn't -- I probably didn't sleep enough last night).
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just one thing I'd like to add if I may. I have the AVG Free 2017 set to automatically update virus signatures, but not the program updates. I'm a very cautious guy and I like doing program updates manually. As it turns out, it may be a good thing I do it that way.

Twice now, the program has told me I need to get the program updated. Then, at my convenience, I did the update. It always requires a reboot and after it did a notice comes up that it was updated - and there are two boxes checked for to download and install Chrome browser and make Chrome my default browser.

I don't have Chrome browser, I use and so far am happy with Firefox. If the time comes that I want Chrome, I want to be the one who installs it, and from a reliable source. This may be old news by now but I just thought I'd bring it up. Hopefully, AVG puts that notice up on your screen for the Automatic Update too.