Thanks

Why Windows must die. For the third time

Interesting article about where Windows has been and where it is headed ( according to the authors view ).
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/why-win...59341748746160

Windows, as we know it today, based on the legacy Win32 APIs that have been around for decades, will die. That's Microsoft's intention as well as its current mission to improve the overall computing experience for everyone. But Windows as a brand will continue, as a secure operating system optimized for applications that heavily leverage public and private clouds.

However, our definition of personal computing and also the PC will also change with it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95
    Interesting article about where Windows has been and where it is headed ( according to the authors view ).
    Yeah, but... yeah, but... the author started the article off with:

Last week, a key event occurred in the history of personal computing. It marks the beginning of the death of the operating system that we recognize today as Microsoft Windows.
    I had to read the article several times to finally work out that this 'key event' was apparently Win 10 S, a super-locked down version that will only run apps from the Windows Store. If MS think that the way forward is to force people even more towards the use of Microsoft Accounts and the Store (on the basis that you won't be able to use Windows otherwise) then good luck with that. It's just human nature to resist and find ways around perceived restrictions on personal liberty.

If it happens though, we won't need WSL... because, of course, nothing could possibly go wrong.

Thanks
    I totally agree with you Rick. The author infers that this is where MS is headed and I think he's right in his "Assumption". You can see it in the direction of how updates are handled now for one thing ( first W10 and now W7/8 ).
    Personally I don't see W10 S being adopted anytime soon by the masses but MS is putting it into play now to move in that direction. I hate to say "Never" but I certainly don't see myself going to a MS owned/controlled machine, that's why I still have 3 W7 computers and 1 W10 laptop ( although at some point W7 will be obsolete ).
    MS has decided that they need to control your computer and computer experience ( much like the Govt. does with many facets of ordinary life ) since we are to dumb to use this new fangled stuff.
    I guess at some point, we should just send them money and they will move the mouse for us.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95
    Personally I don't see W10 S being adopted anytime soon by the masses but MS is putting it into play now to move in that direction.
    I suspect MS will suborn the educational market first with Win 10 S. Its experience with MS Office is that if you get kids used to Office apps when they're impressionable then they'll expect Office apps when they leave education.

As ever, IMO the sole driver is money. MS must look at Apple sitting on its bajillions in cash with envy, wondering how the flow can be diverted.

"It must be Apple's 'walled garden' ecosystem... we can do that too!"... forgetting that Apple's ecosystem was built on its 'walled garden' approach and that punters knew what they were getting into.

This is totally unlike punters' experience of Windows and MS' previous exhortations. "Where do you want to go today?" (1994) is being changed before our very eyes to "You'll go where we let you and nowhere else... and if you try to change it, we'll just change it back again."

It might work... but I believe there will be enormous resistance.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is the issue though. Microsoft may have every intention of "Doing X". And ZDNet may (or may not) have a good understanding of what Microsoft wants. However there is an interplay with what the users want. The days of a vendor just announcing a strategic direction and the users meekly go along, are pretty much over.

Remember Windows Vista? Remember Windows RT? Remember the banished Start menu in Windows 8?

Now let's go a little bit deeper into history. Remember thin clients? No one would want to run a fat client, thin was in! Thin was easier to administer and was going to save so much money! Remember WinFS, the Window File System? A file system based upon a database, it made so much sense!

Even farther back in time. Remember IBM trying to reassert control of the PC world with the PS/2? Remember how that dovetailed with OS/2, which was absolutely the future and anyone who said otherwise was a know-nothing twerp?

Even farther back. Does anyone remember the failed Intel initiative, which would have put a multimedia layer underneath the Windows operating system? Of course that was going to happen, this is Intel talking! Remember the Advanced Personal Computer (I don't have the name quite right and a quick check on the internet isn't helping), which featured a completely new architecture?

This all reminds me of the wry comment about technology research firms. It went something like, "Gartner has predicted 20 of the last 3 big technology trends in the last 20 years!"

Thanks
    Remember Windows Vista? Remember Windows RT? Remember the banished Start menu in Windows 8?
    The problem with that is that people had an OS to fall back on ( or stay with ) without upgrading until a good OS came along. MS is slowly eliminating all previous OS's by eliminating ( at some point ) and screwing up security updates ( whether on purpose or incompetence ) to eventually force most people into the "Fold".
    If you don't like MS's direction, your options ( at this point in time ) would be Apple ( which would be the same as where MS is headed ), Linux, or possibly a startup that comes up with a newer OS in the future.
    But, then again, we are only discussing an authors view of MS's direction ( although he makes some good points as to their direction ).

Thanks
    Ahhnold heah, I'm bach, if Windows is anything like Terminator, it will never go away, it always comes bach.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/
    Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS
    Ahhnold heah, I'm bach, if Windows is anything like Terminator, it will never go away, it always comes bach.
    So, you're implying that Windows is evil?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't forget, there was good Arnie and bad Arnie. Arnie was bad in T1 and good in T2.

T2 was in the future from T1, except for Arnie, for whom it was the past, only not so much past as T1. Which begs the question, why didn't Future Arnie from T1 learn about the (past-future) experience from T2 Arnie, which was still in his past?

If you see what I mean?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    So, you're implying that Windows is evil?
    Naw, I just couldn't resist having a little fun!
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/
    Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)