Thanks

Outlook site oddities

A few minutes ago Malwarebytes started blocking outgoing traffic to outlook.office365.com. I have an outlook.com email address as an account in Outlook. I tried connecting via Edge, and get

"Can’t connect securely to this page
    This might be because the site uses outdated or unsafe TLS security settings. If this keeps happening, try contacting the website’s owner."

When I connect to outlook.com, everything is fine.

Is anyone else getting this?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,039 Posts
    Not here. Are you just using the default Exchange connection?

NOTE: I'm using the Windows Firewall
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Not here. Are you just using the default Exchange connection?

NOTE: I'm using the Windows Firewall
    It has vanished as suddenly as it appeared.

I have a business account that goes through the Exchange connection, but that account is not on Outlook on this PC, it's on my laptop. I have an outlook.com account in Outlook on this PC.

I have no idea why Outlook was trying to connect to the Exchange server, but apparently it has decided to stop now.

I also use the Windows Firewall.

That was strange. I checked the IP address that Outlook was using, 132.245.72.114, and it's still giving the same "not secure" warning, but the IP lookup gives

"IP Lookup Result for 132.245.72.114

IP Address: 132.245.72.114

Organization: Microsoft Corp

ISP/Hosting: Microsoft Corp

Updated: 05/17/2017 03:31 AM

User Rating: Rated 4.0 / 5

City: San Antonio

State: Texas

Postal Code: 78288

Timezone: America/Chicago

Local Time: 05/18/2017 03:55 PM

I don't quite know what to make of it.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,039 Posts
    Within the last year all Outlook.com accounts including Hotmail.com, live.com, & msn.com were migrated to be Exchange Server based accounts. If you setup one of these in Outlook letting Outlook auto-discover the account you'll get an Exchange account.
    Joe

Thanks
    Possibly a brief downtime on one of the servers and the redirect page was incorrectly setup. I just reset the cache and forced a check via Qualys, it looks like it covered 16 servers on at least 2 ASNs, results are all solid A's with the most notable issue being "Server sent invalid HSTS policy.", which I think is minor.

Example result details

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Within the last year all Outlook.com accounts including Hotmail.com, live.com, & msn.com were migrated to be Exchange Server based accounts. If you setup one of these in Outlook letting Outlook auto-discover the account you'll get an Exchange account.
    I did let Outlook auto-discover. I just looked closer at the outlook.com account (it's not my default, so I selected the Inbox) and it gave me the "All folders are up to date. Connected to: Microsoft Exchange" at the bottom.

Like satrow said, probably a redirect that wasn't setup correctly. All's still fine, just that short blip earlier.

Unleash Windows