Thanks

Trolled, Accounts banned

Greetings lonely forum, this is your annual visit from Threads on Wheels.

We've had various small biz socmed accounts for a couple of years. Unexciting low-grade activity, mainly to meet client expectations.

Over the last three months, someone has managed to get our accounts removed from Facebook, Twitter, and Google+, always for the same general reason, gross or extreme violation of the ToS. We've done all the dancing with sites' support, so I'm not looking for help or suggestions on that aspect—it's not that big a deal for us luckily, but I am curious.

1. Anyone heard of similar such apparent targeted attacks on other small biz or org sites? I'm fairly sure from the patterns that this is deliberately aimed at us, but maybe there's a general assault going on I haven't heard of.

2. Anyone know of an effective way to investigate something like this? The freelancer who handles most of our socmed is chipping away thru official channels but very unlikely to get anywhere.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6 (new 2017)
    Windows 10 Home x64 1703; Office 365 x32
    GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400
    256G SSD, 1TB HD

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,125 Times in 1,048 Posts
    Are you sure the accounts weren't compromised?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Have you been posting political or otherwise controversial comments? If so, then perhaps the person doing this is someone who doesn't like what you posted.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Are you sure the accounts weren't compromised?
    Yep, two people have gone thru an investigation in detail over recent months. We had full sight of all our accounts' output, nobody else posted anything.

Of course, we checked/changed various security settings a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Have you been posting political or otherwise controversial comments?
    No Jim, routine mundane factual and transactional stuff. I'm well aware of the trolling and other attacks around the topics you mention.

A not-nice Facebook side-effect: at one stage one of us had to enter a phone number as part of a verification process. Spam calls have gone up x5 since
    Lugh.
    ~
    256G SSD, 1TB HD

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,125 Times in 1,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    A not-nice Facebook side-effect: at one stage one of us had to enter a phone number as part of a verification process. Spam calls have gone up x5 since
    How else are they going to make their squillions?

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    so, if I understand correctly, there was nothing in your posts that you could see as causing offense? Did any of the social media sites ever specify any specific post or was it just the generic reason you quoted at the top?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beethoven View Post
    if I understand correctly
    You do

Harmless posts, generic useless responses.
    Lugh.
    ~
    256G SSD, 1TB HD

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting - I always thought that their way of policing was not a matter of discussion but still thought you would get at least an idea on why a decision has been taken.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beethoven View Post
    still thought you would get at least an idea on why a decision has been taken.
    I expect they're overwhelmed with the number of complaints and requests they get daily, and don't have the resources to investigate individual cases manually, unless for the 'big guys'. The algorithms rule, and we must wait while they improve them.

This has been a feature of Google search for the past decade or so, each major update of the algos resulted in plenty of small/medium guys' sites and pages disappearing from the top of the SERPs, and thereby seriously impacting their livelihoods. Also lots of cases of original sites' SERP positions being usurped by copied scraper sites.

With billions of pages and daily posts etc, they don't have an easy task policing it all. All we small guys can do is never rely on search or social for a significant part of business—regard them as temp bonuses when they work.
    Lugh.
    ~
    256G SSD, 1TB HD

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lugh For This Useful Post:

beethoven (2017-06-10)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    I expect they're overwhelmed with the number of complaints and requests they get daily, and don't have the resources to investigate individual cases manually, unless for the 'big guys'. The algorithms rule, and we must wait while they improve them.

This has been a feature of Google search for the past decade or so, each major update of the algos resulted in plenty of small/medium guys' sites and pages disappearing from the top of the SERPs, and thereby seriously impacting their livelihoods. Also lots of cases of original sites' SERP positions being usurped by copied scraper sites.

With billions of pages and daily posts etc, they don't have an easy task policing it all. All we small guys can do is never rely on search or social for a significant part of business—regard them as temp bonuses when they work.
    I am sure revoking 'net-neutrality' will make the small guy's world brighter! [/sarcasm]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    I am sure revoking 'net-neutrality' will make the small guy's world brighter! [/sarcasm]
    If you're referring to the policing of socmed in some way, sorry I don't get you.

Net neutrality is a big topic and I've yet to see a killer argument on either side. You might get some interest if you start a thread on the subject.
    Lugh.
    ~
    256G SSD, 1TB HD