Thanks

Thumbs down Chrome apparently changes Windows printer default to colour

Preliminary Statement - this problem has nothing whatever to do with Google Cloud Print, which we don't use! We are having some problems with a recently-introduced large colour printer/photocopier, whose Windows driver has been set up to default to black-and-white (for obvious cost reasons). We use the Chrome browser on our Windows 7 PC, but are finding that occasionally Stuff which we want to print from the browser prints in Colour, rather than the intended B&W. A print options window comes up, but impatient users often ignore the Color setting and just print anyway. Some searching seems to indicate that this is a long-standing problem with the Chrome browser overriding the Windows printer defaults, which problem seems to remain unfixed as yet. Is anyone familiar with the problem, and (even better) do you know whether there is an easy solution or bypass?------------------------------- PS This was originally separated out into paragraphs, but has now become scrunched up by the forum software...
    Last edited by BATcher; 2017-07-03 at 03:29.
    BATcher

Mission: identify what we do best and find more ways of doing less of it better

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you set up a Print Default in Chrome?

Thanks
    I wish I could, but can't find an obvious way. I saw a PowerShell method of editing the Chrome Preferences file which was greek to me, and anywhy I don't think it did what I wanted...
    BATcher

Thanks
    This might be dumb, but could you just remove the color cartridges from the printer. Obviously not a viable solution if you occasionally use color.

Thanks
    It's actually a fairly hefty Kyocera scanner/photocopier/printer costing Łgasp, used by about 25 people!
    BATcher

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by artied2 View Post
    This might be dumb, but could you just remove the color cartridges from the printer. Obviously not a viable solution if you occasionally use color.
    It's an idea worth trying but my experience with consumer and some office printers is they simply won't work if all cartridges are not present. Have seen it work on some machines to leave the emptied color cartridge/s in the machine until needing to replace.