5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Never place your storage shed keys in your pocket and immediately....

...cut the grass with your riding lawnmower. lol

Just got my mower from the repair shop back after being out for over a month (as a side note, pushing the mower with nearly an acre lot with lots of trees suck; lol). Anyway, like a kid, I couldn't wait so I immediately started mowing the lawn. Near the end, I noticed, my keys were missing (dmn). Well, I did look for a few minutes but gave up and was going to just purchase a new lock and door handle, but, while driving the mower up the ramp and into the shed, low and behold, the heys were there right near the shed's edge. Talk about freaking luck. lol

Thanks
    Get a goat
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not too many years ago, we had a severe drought which lasted around 5 years. About 3 years the rains started coming back and now, it nearly rains 3 to 5 days a week. We finally had no rain for 4 days straight now. I suppose, this year, it would be a good year for a goat, wavy. lol

Thanks
    It reminds me of the opening to a dramatic and atmospheric short story...
    "Dawn crept across the lawn
    looking for her car keys..."
    BATcher

Mission: identify what we do best and find more ways of doing less of it better

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    It reminds me of the opening to a dramatic and atmospheric short story...
    "Dawn crept across the lawn
    looking for her car keys..."
    Damn that Dawn... she's a real pain. I've warned her time and time again...

ROFL

Thanks
    Missing keys get my goat every time!

BTW I guess there are still problems here as only Post Quick Reply is working today or do I have too much blocked by NoScript?
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No reason to start a new thread. Anyway, When I got back rider back from the shop (needed new front wheels; they also replaced the main blade belt) two weeks ago, when I cut the grass then, all was well. I cut the grass for only it's second run since getting it back from the shop and, when I drove through a bunch of dead leaves, the mower started to pop and also speed up and slow down. Very strange. Thinking it's just time for me to get a new mower; it's over 18 years old now anyway. Only problem is a half decent mower now will run over $2.5K. Have the money for one, but hate to spend it at the moment. May just put it off until next year and give myself an early birthday gift. If you guys have any suggestions for a good value vs. performance mower, let me know.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You're too easy lylejk, I'd be raising helk with that shop you took the mower to. It sounds like your mower was running fine before you took it to the shop right? Then all you had done was get new front wheels and a blade drive belt. Now your mower is not running fine and is making weird noises. Very strange indeed, I would suspect the shop first and see if I could get them to fix whatever they did to your mower. I know it's a royal pita, but so is laying out $2500.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That puts me in mind of a mower problem I had a long time ago. Have you checked for water in the gas tank? Seems to me I experienced the same thing, misfires, weird changes in the RPM, all that.

Why did it start when you ran over a pile of leaves? Well, the fuel tube from the gas tank is near the bottom of the gas tank and water floats on top of gas (or is it gas on top of the water? I forget). Anything which disturbs the level of the fuel and the water can result in the engine suddenly getting a gulp of water. It's the water in the cylinders which causes all the pops and crazy RPM changes.

What to do?

1). Drain the entire tank and fill up with fresh gas;
    2). Pour in some fuel conditioner meant to get rid of water. The conditioner binds with the water and allows it to burn. You have to be reasonable though, I think this stuff is only meant to deal with small amounts of water.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    That puts me in mind of a mower problem I had a long time ago. Have you checked for water in the gas tank? Seems to me I experienced the same thing, misfires, weird changes in the RPM, all that.

Why did it start when you ran over a pile of leaves? Well, the fuel tube from the gas tank is near the bottom of the gas tank and water floats on top of gas (or is it gas on top of the water? I forget). Anything which disturbs the level of the fuel and the water can result in the engine suddenly getting a gulp of water. It's the water in the cylinders which causes all the pops and crazy RPM changes.

What to do?

1). Drain the entire tank and fill up with fresh gas;
    2). Pour in some fuel conditioner meant to get rid of water. The conditioner binds with the water and allows it to burn. You have to be reasonable though, I think this stuff is only meant to deal with small amounts of water.
    Perform a search on "Mr. Funnel Fuel Filter" for a sample of fuel filters which pass fuel but not water. I have the "AF8CB" model. I don't pour fuel directly into my lawn mower's tank anymore, I pour it through the filter. It's the bee's knees!
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lylejk View Post
    I cut the grass for only it's second run since getting it back from the shop and, when I drove through a bunch of dead leaves, the mower started to pop and also speed up and slow down. Very strange.
    I run over dead leaves in the Fall and all I get is a lot of leaf dust which I have to blow out of the mower. The dust gets in the air filter and I have to blow that out too. Other than that, no problems. Where is this water coming from?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Condensation is usually the culprit. Though lylejk mentioned that it has been raining like Noah; something to do with that perhaps?

And the mower is 18 years old. That's plenty of time for some water to build up in a tank.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Appreciate all the feedback. May try to put some gas drier chemicals in the tank and see if it eliminates the water. Rather not drain if possible. The gasoline I use is all 100% non-ethanol. Still strange that I didn't have no issue at all until I ran over a pile of leaves (do this all the time to mulch it down when I run over the leaves under the Magnolia trees). Anyway, I pushed again today, but may, when I get some time, try to see if the Engine starts.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lylejk View Post
    No reason to start a new thread. Anyway, When I got back rider back from the shop (needed new front wheels; they also replaced the main blade belt) two weeks ago, when I cut the grass then, all was well. I cut the grass for only it's second run since getting it back from the shop and, when I drove through a bunch of dead leaves, the mower started to pop and also speed up and slow down. Very strange. Thinking it's just time for me to get a new mower; it's over 18 years old now anyway. Only problem is a half decent mower now will run over $2.5K. Have the money for one, but hate to spend it at the moment. May just put it off until next year and give myself an early birthday gift. If you guys have any suggestions for a good value vs. performance mower, let me know.
    You could get a self-propelled standard lawn mower with an electric starter. They aren't as fun as a riding lawn mower, but they are a lot easier to push than a non-self propelled mower, and a lot cheaper than a riding lawn mower.

I had a self propelled standard lawn mower for many years. I put a good mulching blade on it, and it cut the grass so fine that I didn't even have to rake up afterward!