Lounger
    Thanks

Using windows media center in windows 10 as per latest newsletter.

I have just installed the 64bit windows 10 version 1703 but it won't open. How can I fix this?

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks
    alexamac, from what I've read over the last year or so, it appears that very few forum staff have access to the 'Windows Secrets' newsletter.

So, if replies are few, it's not indifference... it's just that most of us are unaware of the newsletter content.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for responding.

Lance Whitney wrote on July 6, 2017 in the newsletter about using Windows Media Center in Windows 7. He referred to the fact that Microsoft removed WMC from Windows 8 and Windows 10. He gave a link to a Forum offering installation for Windows 10: <https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/discussion-patch-wmc-to-run-on-windows-10-final-possible-alternatives.61061/>.

I had seen other proposed programs like it before and after I installed Windows 10 but none of them worked. I was hoping that a suggestion from Windows Secrets might work, as the program I am using, WIN TV 8, is flaky.

I managed to access the default branch version and installed it as administrator with Revo uninstaller. Installation completed and the program shows up in my "recently added" in the start menu. However, I wasn't able to open the program as administrator or not. I tried going to the location and opening from there without success.

There is nothing in the mydigitallife thread about this, other than a related comment that says if the program won't open you should LAUNCH it. I don't know what that means. I have asked the forum about it not opening but haven't had a response.

I'd love some help.

Thanks
    alexamac,

I'm sorry that I can't help. I moved on from Windows Media Center to Plex (https://www.plex.tv/) a long time ago because it had more flexibility and fewer constrictions.

I hope someone else can answer your questions.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again.

My need is for video capture for free to air television. WMC was great for that in Windows 7.

I do need a free application. Can anybody help with that?

Lounger
    Thanks
    As far as I can work out, all is now working well.

I downloaded v 8.8.1 from <https://mega.nz/#!oI41yLKR!7VSf2ExxBLt1kFupQm1Ja1DHXNk4yKY8k63R6lK 30Y8>.

I uninstalled v 12 with v 8.8.1 (as directed on http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/...119225#p119225.

I installed blue version as administrator with Revo.

Scanning shows frequencies from previous Canberra configuration but channel names with current Canberra configuration (ie nine for nine network plus local nine news, win for ten network plus local win news).

I had to make .wtv not smart play in zoom player ti get video play and use date modified, not date in windows explorer. to get a date recorded.

Over and out.

Lounger
    Thanks
    PS I extracted file with 7 zip and moved folder to C:\ for i installation, as directed.