Star Lounger
    Thanks

Your go-to sites for trustworthy hardware reviews

After Googling "reviews best printers 2017," I've spent an hour pouring over printer reviews on so-called reliable tech sites. How is that the TOP CHOICES! listed on Site A so rarely overlap with the TOP CHOICES! listed on Sites B, C, D, or E?

When instances of overlap do occur, Site A might give a printer a #1 rating, while the same printer falls to the #10 slot on Site B.

Could shaking a Magic 8-Ball be any worse? Clicking through reviews on Amazon is equally crazy-making.

Among the big online tech sites, whose reviews do you trust? Would be grateful for any recommendations.
    Windows 7 Professional x64, SP1

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooksNYC View Post

Among the big online tech sites, whose reviews do you trust? Would be grateful for any recommendations.
    I tend to use Toms Hardware and follow up by reading consumer reviews from actual purchasers.
    Can't vouch for them being unbiased but have found them reliable.

http://www.tomshardware.com/

Thanks
    https://skinflint.co.uk to narrow down the choices, also links to reviews there. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/ do a wide range of decent reviews, http://www.jonnyguru.com/index.php for PSUs.

https://uk.hardware.info/ is reasonable and also links to other decent review sites, I also read almost all reviews at http://hexus.net/.

The latest Dossier: Les taux de retour des composants to check the likelihood of needing to return a PC component! http://www.hardware.fr/html/articles...pe=tous&dcat=7 (French).

The 'top' sites are usually on commission from somewhere, the bigger their % referral payments, the more they tout the brand.
    Last edited by satrow; 2017-07-08 at 13:35.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

BrooksNYC (2017-07-14),KenYoung (2017-07-09),Lugh (2017-07-13)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Very helpful! Thank you both.

Thanks
    FWIW in my experience working w/ customers' printers the "best" (least-troublesome) printers for a home PC are those from Brother, Epson, Canon, and HP (in that order, whether inkjet or laser).

If you are looking for an enterprise-level laser printer then Brother, Kyocera, or FUJI-XEROX.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    Confuscius said: "no use running harder if you're on the wrong road" and "any problem once correctly understood is already half-solved".

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

BrooksNYC (2017-07-14)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks kindly, Coochin. I need a printer for home, and those are the very brands I've been looking at.

I may buy another color laser. They're bulky and weigh a ton, but my previous HP lasted nearly 12 years, and died before the ink ran out.

Although color laser technology is improving, inkjets are still best for photo printing. My Canon inkjet croaked after five years, devoured ink, and the refills were expensive. (Tried a few "bargain" inks, but they didn't work out well.)

I can no longer afford two printers, so just have to prioritize my printing needs, and take the plunge.

Again, thank you all for your help!

Thanks
    @ BrooksNYC

"... inkjets are still best for photo printing...".

Correct. Since it seems you want best-results for photo printing then you should go for an Epson printer. Epson have always had best reputation for photo printing, and in my experience their ink cartridges are very reasonably-priced.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    Confuscius said: "no use running harder if you're on the wrong road" and "any problem once correctly understood is already half-solved".

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In fact, Coochin, I rarely print photos. Almost all of my printing is document printing.

Once in a while, it would be nice to print out a full-color greeting card. But based on what I mostly use a printer for, I think a laser printer would be my best bet.

Again, I appreciate your help, and thanks for the Epson recommendation!

Thanks
    Tom's Hardware and AnandTech have been my 2 starting points for a long time.

Other places I generally trust—but a lot depends on who's writing the review—are PC World, PC Gamer, Overclockers.net and ExtremeTech.

After Googling "reviews…
    Be aware that a search engine does not give you the best sites, it gives you the most popular, particularly those sites which have optimized themselves to place well in search engines or which have established brand names. Be especially aware of 'Top 10' sites, they are generally pushing the most lucrative products for themselves.

best printers 2017 … How is that the TOP CHOICES! listed on Site A so rarely overlap with the TOP CHOICES! listed on Sites B, C, D, or E?
    Mainly because there are thousands of different printer models available at any one time, and each reviewer's/site's criteria for what "best" means are different.

Clicking through reviews on Amazon is equally crazy-making.
    I find Amazon reviews to generally be the best consumer-grade reviews around.
    1. Filter by "Verified Purchaser";
    2. Sort by "Most helpful";
    3. The 4-star and 2-star reviews often have the best comments;
    3a. Be aware of shills and trolls in some product categories—they are usually very easy to spot.
    4. You want a minimum of maybe 20 reviews before paying them much heed—the larger the number, the more reliable the rating. Note that Amazon groups reviews of similar products together for this reason—eg all the different colors or sizes of a product.

Once in a while, it would be nice to print out a full-color greeting card. But based on what I mostly use a printer for, I think a laser printer would be my best bet.
    Same here. Whenever my b/w laser needs new toner or drum, I buy the best available model which is cheaper than replacement toner or drum. Rare color stuff I get done at the local print shop. Laser is very cheap per page, inkjet can be very dear.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6 (new 2017)
    Windows 10 Home x64 1703; Office 365 x32
    GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400
    256G SSD, 1TB HD

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lugh For This Useful Post:

BrooksNYC (2017-07-14)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the good and thoughtful advice, Lugh. (I'll be sure to check to check out AnandTech and Overclockers, two sites I hadn't heard of.)

Rare color stuff I get done at the local print shop.
    That's an option I hadn't considered, but I will. My first home printer, bought in the 1990s, was a monochrome laser. My second was a color laser. Both printers were sturdy workhorses. I also had a couple of small inkjets for business travel. Both devoured ink, and both stopped working after a few years. As someone who mostly prints text, I prefer lasers. Color lasers are getting better and cheaper—an encouraging trend.

I need to look at Amazon with fresh eyes. I can skim through a thousand good reviews, and fixate on the five bad ones! It's an unfortunate habit inherited from my father, whose credo was: "If anything can go wrong, it will."

Again, thanks for the great tips.