Thread: Kb4025341

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Kb4025341

This update appeared yesterday and my question is whether or not there is a "secutity update only" that I can use instead? It's a long story as to why I won't download this entire update, and I have used the security update only option before. Searching online this time, there doesn't appear to be info that I need. I always appreciate the help from you experts.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 996 Posts
    I installed it on my Win 7 and as far as I know, there aren't any adverse effects, although I rarely use it these days and instead prefer to use my Win 10 updated laptops.

Here is the info I assume you were looking for, but if you click on the update in Windows Update and then on More info in the right pane, it will give you the same page as this -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...date-kb4025341

Thanks
    Here is info on the "Security Only" Update https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4025337 . The only difference between the Sec. Only and Rollup is the IE update.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, both. If the only difference is the IE update, maybe the "Security Only" update is no better for my situation.

Thanks
    I was doing the "Security Only" updates and updating IE 11 separately but this time I went for the Quality Rollup and it seems to be ok.
    Be advised that there are reports of BSOD's on older computers with both Sec. only and rollup.
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2017-07-14 at 19:48. Reason: more info

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, that's enough for me to hear, lumpy! I've had the BSOD before and don't want it again. Thanks for the warning.

Thanks
    So far I'm not having any problems so you may want to read a bit about what is going on before you make a decision. https://www.askwoody.com/2017/kb-402...-running-win7/
    Hope this helps

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

anniewr (2017-07-16),MikeSTM (2017-07-31)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm looking for information relating to KB4025341 and KB4025337, but the Patchwatch columns for July have pretty much zero information about them. They show up in the problem patch chart, but with no description about what problems they could cause and no mention of them in the main Patchwatch columns for July. I've found more information in this thread than anywhere else, but I still don't know if they're safe to install on my 40+ Windows 7 systems that are starting to show their age. Am I missing something?

I pay for a subscription to this website because the Patchwatch columns have been so helpful in the past. Recently it seems that they don't include as much information as they used to. It seems to have happened since MS changed to the monthly quality/security rollup method.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSTM View Post
    I'm looking for information relating to KB4025341 and KB4025337, but the Patchwatch columns for July have pretty much zero information about them. They show up in the problem patch chart, but with no description about what problems they could cause and no mention of them in the main Patchwatch columns for July. I've found more information in this thread than anywhere else, but I still don't know if they're safe to install on my 40+ Windows 7 systems that are starting to show their age. Am I missing something?

I pay for a subscription to this website because the Patchwatch columns have been so helpful in the past. Recently it seems that they don't include as much information as they used to. It seems to have happened since MS changed to the monthly quality/security rollup method.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    As I mentioned previously, I installed KB 4025341 and have had no problems on 2-W7 Pro x64's & 1- W7 Pro x86. Maybe Woody's article can provide you with some information http://www.computerworld.com/article...e-updated.html
    As you mentioned, there have been a lot of problems since the "Rollup" procedure was introduced and it's hard to keep track of all of it, but it is what it is for now.
    Good Luck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The Woody article is where I'm getting my information from, I should have thanked you for that link in my original post...so thanks! I'm going to do a limited roll-out to a few machines that have Radeon 6350 video cards and see if any issues pop up.

My issue more has to do with the information (or lack thereof) available on THIS site, which I pay for. Is the information available somewhere here, and I'm just missing it? All I see in Susan Bradley's article is "Install*". "*Hold: Please note if you’ve installed these updates and are not seeing any side effects you can leave the updates installed. I’m only recommended holding off if you are severely impacted by these side effects."

There is no mention of what "these side effects" might be. There is a link to the MS rollup summary, which when you follow states "Microsoft is not currently aware of any issues with this update." If I'm missing something, please show me the error of my ways. If not, please consider this constructive criticism of the article and I will re-post my sentiments to the WS Columns Forum, linked to at the end of her article.

Thanks
    I should have thanked you for that link in my original post...so thanks
    There is a "Thanks" button on the lower left.
    My issue more has to do with the information (or lack thereof) available on THIS site, which I pay for
    Just to be clear, you don't pay for this site, you pay for the Windows Secrets Newsletter. This site is free.
    I also get the newsletter and ( if I remember correctly ), some of the previous newsletters mentioned a few of the side effects. Not sure if I'm correct on that or not but if you go to Woody's site and look at previous articles, there will be mention of side effects. On my post #5 I mentioned one such side effect.
    NOTE: most of the other side effects I saw dealt with IE problems.
    BTW, welcome to this free forum
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2017-07-31 at 14:42. Reason: added note

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

MikeSTM (2017-07-31)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    There is a "Thanks" button on the lower left.

Just to be clear, you don't pay for this site, you pay for the Windows Secrets Newsletter. This site is free.
    I also get the newsletter and ( if I remember correctly ), some of the previous newsletters mentioned a few of the side effects. Not sure if I'm correct on that or not but if you go to Woody's site and look at previous articles, there will be mention of side effects. On my post #5 I mentioned one such side effect.
    NOTE: most of the other side effects I saw dealt with IE problems.
    BTW, welcome to this free forum
    Well, I have to log in to the WindowsSecrets site to get to the detailed Patch Watch articles (paid content), but yes, I could just as easily refer to the emails they send. Regardless, the same information is in both, and neither have useful information with regards to this patch. I think I'll post this issue as constructive criticism in the appropriate place.

I appreciate your replies and will continue to monitor Woody's site. That will be a nice resource to have in the future.

Take care,

Mike

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 996 Posts
    This is the official info on KB4025341 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...date-kb4025341 and this is the official info on KB4025337 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...date-kb4025337

However, in my Google search for those I did come across this one, but don't know how significant it is as my Win 7 laptop is fully up to date without any issues and I haven't seen any other adverse reports about it.

https://www.askwoody.com/2017/july-1...7-causes-bsod/