New Lounger
    Thanks

Format Header in mail merge document when Mergefield is used in body

I created a Mergefield Quote where data is being pulled from an Excel spreadsheet and mail merged into Word because I have multiple rows that needed to be shown on a single page in Word. The pull works great (thanks for other forum threads) and data is showing on the letters as expected. My issue is that the first page has to be on letterhead and have a different top margin then the other two pages. I have tried to make the 2nd and 3rd pages as "Different First Page", tried to unlink from previous page, tried to make each page a first page, etc. and it isn't working. It seems the 1st and 3rd pages are "tied" somehow because each time that I remove the letterhead from the 3rd page, it is removed from the 1st page. The 2nd page just does what it is suppose to do.

I did separate my Mergefield data with Section Breaks to have them print on different pages. I also noticed that when I put a Section Break after my last page (even though there is no data on Page 4), the header works on Page 3, but my multiple rows is now separated into multiple pages. Any idea what is possibly missing from my Mergefield criteria or if there is special coding I need to do for the headers?

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    You should set up the mailmerge main document with a 'Different First Page' page layout, with the first page laid out to suit the letterhead. There is no unlinking to be done. Your problem description suggests you're using a 'Different Odd and Even' page layout, not a 'Different First Page' page layout.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    You should set up the mailmerge main document with a 'Different First Page' page layout, with the first page laid out to suit the letterhead. There is no unlinking to be done. Your problem description suggests you're using a 'Different Odd and Even' page layout, not a 'Different First Page' page layout.

I originally had it set up with the "Different Odd and Even" but I have about a 100 page mail merge and it didn't work properly. I then changed it to a Different First Page and it is still not working. The first page will have the letterhead but so will the 3rd page. And when I remove the letterhead from the 3rd page (I select "Different First Page") it removes it from the 1st page. Could there be another issue?

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    A 'Different First Page' page layout would not cause the header to appear on the third page, only a 'Different Odd and Even' page layout would do that.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have the Different Odd and Even page layout selected on any of the pages. This is what is looks like:

First page.jpgSecond Page.jpgThird Page.jpg

And this is the results it gives:

First page - results.jpgSecond page - results.jpgThird page - results.jpg

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It is impossible to tell from your screenshots what you're doing. Without actually seeing the problem document, it's impossible to tell. Can you attach the mailmerge main document to a post with a workbook containing some representative merge data (delete anything sensitive)? You do this via the paperclip symbol on the 'Go Advanced' tab at the bottom of this screen.

That said, your field coding suggests you're trying to do a directory/catalog merge but I suspect your mailmerge main document is configured for a letter merge. If you want to do a directory/catalog merge and have a letterhead for each new letter, you will need to replace the {QUOTE 12} field with a 'Next Page' Section break and use a 'Different First Page' page layout.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    What you do have are several sections. Each section has its own set of headers and footers.

Your illustrations show the header 'logo' in the primary header (so it will appear on all pages) and you have nothing in the first page header of section 2, so you will get the header on all pages of the first section, nothing on the first page of the second section and the logo on the second page of the second section (as this section header is presumably linked to the previous section).

You need to ensure that the primary headers in all sections are empty and the logo is in the first page header of the first section only, if you are using this method.

Alternatively remove the section breaks or replace them with page breaks and just have the logo in the first page header of the only section.
    Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    http://www.gmayor.com

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mayor View Post
    What you do have are several sections. Each section has its own set of headers and footers.
    Indeed, there are at least 3 Sections, the first apparently lacking a 'Different First Page' page layout but the second and third Sections each having that property, both with the 'same as previous' attribute set. What I can't tell from the screenshots is whether a 'Different Odd and Even' page layout might also be in use somewhere.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I do have three sections to the document but they are being treated differently in each page as far as the headers are concerned. I do not have the Different Odd and Even page layout selected unless it is "hidden/attached" to the document somehow. Funny thing is that as I was created the sample document for you to review, I added more "districts" and now the Header Logo isn't showing the first page when you scroll to like page 20.

I don't know what is going on. Here are the documents...

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try:
    1. replace both your Section breaks with ordinary page breaks;
    2. replace the {QUOTE 12} field with a 'Next Page' Section break; and
    3. apply a 'Different First Page' page layout to the revised document.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay...I made the changes and the Logo is working correctly...yeah! I have a logo on the first page and not the next two pages.

However, the top margin on the first page needs to be a 2.2" (company letterhead is quite big) and the remaining pages at a 1". Each time I adjust the pages to be a margin of 1 in those sections, it will not work when I merge. I can see it on the file layout as fixed, but not when it is merged.

Because of the Next Record section break and the two hard page breaks, I now have 4 pages. The first two pages (which when merged is technically page 1) is considered the First Page Header - Section 1 and Section 2. The page margins are 2.2 and have the Different First Page checked. The third page (technically page 2) is considered the Header - Section 3 and does NOT have the Different First Page checked and does NOT have Link to Previous marked. The fourth page (technically page 3) is considered the Header - Section 3 also and does NOT have the Different First Page checked and does NOT have Link to Previous marked.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thecmpfam View Post
    However, the top margin on the first page needs to be a 2.2" (company letterhead is quite big) and the remaining pages at a 1". Each time I adjust the pages to be a margin of 1 in those sections, it will not work when I merge. I can see it on the file layout as fixed, but not when it is merged.
    If you put the logo & other header content into the first page header, it will appear on that page only and there's no need to adjust the margins on that page - the header will expand as necessary, forcing all other content down on that page.
    Quote Originally Posted by thecmpfam View Post
    Because of the Next Record section break and the two hard page breaks, I now have 4 pages
    What 'Next Record section break'? The merge doesn't use 'Next Record' fields and, if you implemented the process as I described it, you'd only have two or three pages, depending on the view - two pages created via page breaks and a conditional one created by the 'Next Page' Section break.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]