2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP System will no longer accept remote session

I've been using remote desktop to access an XP system across my network for years. Two days ago, I installed the security update that Microsoft released, and everything seemed fine. There was a power failure this morning and my systems went into hibernation (I have UPS backup on both). When the XP system came back up, it started displaying "new hardware found" dialogs for a "PCI Device." It could not automatically install whatever it was looking for ("PCI Device" sure sounds generic), so I had to cancel the dialog. I restarted it (a couple of time), but it kept displaying the dialog.

My RDC connection on the Win 10 system now fails to connect. However, I can access the XP system's drives across the network, and the XP system can see the Win 10 system, so the network card is fine. I can also access the Internet (although I don't do this normally from the XP system).

After some more experimentation, I was finally able to connect by using the XP system's current network IP address, and my user name / password from the XP system, whereas I could previously use the XP computer's name and an account prefixed by the Win 10 system name. If I try that now I get a message saying that remote access is not enabled or the computer is not available, etc.—even though I can open files for editing from the XP system. In other words, Remote Desktop Connection cannot see the computer if it is referenced by name.

Any ideas? I'm functional, but very confused about what happened (and not wanting to use an IP address that could change). Thanks!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,125 Times in 1,048 Posts
    I would not expect you to be able to login to XP with a W10 / remote account unless all machines were on a domain.
    Connection to the XP machine by name should still be OK as it registers with the DNS. Is this not happening any more?

You can find devices without drivers by running MSINFO32 (Components / Problem Devices).

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "I would not expect you to be able to login to XP with a W10 / remote account unless all machines were on a domain."

To be honest, I have no idea how I originally got it to connect. I was using the networkk IP address for a while, but it was occasionally being reassigned (and I was having simultaneous problems with a network printer that may or may not have been related). The XP had long been part of a work group I used for all home PCs. When I got my first Win 8 system (now updated to 10), it seemed to work, but somewhere between that one and two other Win 10 systems, connections between the systems (even to "public" folders) began to get unpredictable, with weird inabilities to use files I had just copied between systems. In any case, I eventually realized I could use the computer name and separately set up an account for the Win 8/10 system on the XP system. Everything was working (or getting worked around) until this recent change.

"Connection to the XP machine by name should still be OK as it registers with the DNS. Is this not happening any more?"

No, the pure IP address works (with my normal credentials on the XP system) but attempting to connect using the XP's machine name returns the message I mentioned: a generic one indicating it can't find the machine at all. Folders that I've shared on the XP system continue to be accessible via file manager from the Win 10 system. This seems to be connected to the recent XP security update I installed, but I'm pretty sure that required an immediate reboot but the problem did not appear until a day later after a power failure (and I access the XP system multiple times a day). I wonder if the problem was there but it was the restart of the Win 10 system that actually made the final difference.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,125 Times in 1,048 Posts
    I don't know whether you can connect via RDP in a home network using "other" credentials - never tried it.

The DNS server will tell you what the PC is registered as. Logon to the router / DNS server and view the assigned addresses.
    You should be able to ping the PC using the registered name, then RDP using same.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could try a restore point prior to the XP security update.

Mark