Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,039 Posts

Bring Group Policy to Windows Home editions

See the free pre-release software - Policy Plus brings Group Policy to all Windows editions.
    Joe

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Rick Corbett (2017-08-16),Sudo (2017-08-03),wavy (2017-08-02)

Thanks
    Joe this method looks more interesting to me as it is apparently just a bat file! I have not got around to looking at it hands on. https://www.itechtics.com/easily-ena...-home-edition/

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

Sudo (2017-08-03)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 1,027 Posts
    wavy, to find out if you have the packages available type this in a Command Prompt.
    dir %SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-Client*.mum
    You should see 2 files.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 992 Posts
    I created a restore point and used the link Wavy had posted and that got me the LGPE when I typed gpedit.exe at Start.

A while ago I came across a Google link to put GPE on my Win 7 Home Premium but came unstuck right at the end when it wouldn't let me take ownership of a file.

Having the GPE can be handy as some fixes have a solution which involves the GPE which excludes standard users.

Done one machine - two more to go.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Windows 10 home 64-bit. The specific setting I wanted to change in the Group Policy was "Configure Automatic Updates" to stop Windows from updating and installing updates automatically.

I tried both methods: 'Policy Plus' and the one provided bij https://www.itechtics.com/easily-enable-group-policy-editor-gpedit-msc-in-windows-10-home-edition/.

With both I can access the Group Policy settings. With both it is possible to change the setting for "Configure Automatic Updates" to option no. 2, "Notify for download and notify for install." Unfortunately changing this setting did not have the required effect. Windows keeps on downloading and installing updates automatically.

1. Does anyone know why?
    2. Is there a fix?
    Last edited by satrow; 2017-08-04 at 13:19.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you re-booted?

Have you checked the policy after re-boot to ensure your desired setting is still in effect?

Have you made any other GP changes which could override this one?
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for replying.

1. Of course.
    2. Of course. And yes it is.
    3. No.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Which version of Windows 10?

Is your normal Windows account a member of the admin group?
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    1. Win 10 home 1607 (64-bit) build 14393.1480
    2. Yes of course. (I only have 1 account which is also admin.)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Could be that those settings are now ignored for Win10 home. It is extremely difficult to find out which settings still apply to Windows Update and to which Windows version. Sorry but I can't find anything definitive.
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thnx for trying.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aexaer View Post
    Thnx for trying.
    If you just want to regain full control over Windows Updates then you may wish to consider a QAD* alternative, i.e. to just turn the service(s) off until you decide you want it/them restored/active again.

It's off topic so I won't provide more details here unless the OP wants them.

Aexaer - If a QAD alternative is of interest then post back. I'm more than happy to provide more info (which I use on my Win 10 and Win 7 devices).

(*QAD just stands for 'Quick And Dirty' in this case, i.e. very little elegance but simply gets the job done.)

Hope this helps...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    If you just want to regain full control over Windows Updates then you may wish to consider a QAD* alternative, i.e. to just turn the service(s) off until you decide you want it/them restored/active again.

It's off topic so I won't provide more details here unless the OP wants them.

Aexaer - If a QAD alternative is of interest then post back. I'm more than happy to provide more info (which I use on my Win 10 and Win 7 devices).

(*QAD just stands for 'Quick And Dirty' in this case, i.e. very little elegance but simply gets the job done.)

Hope this helps...
    Thanks for your reply. If you mean by turning it off completely in "Services" or by editing the registry, yes, I know these methods. But these are not the best methods, or as you call them they are QAD.

It's a shame that the 2 methods described here to change the Group Policy settings don't seem to have any effect.