New Lounger
    Thanks

Safe mode impossibly slow and PC won't boot normally (Not your common scenario)

Hey guys,

This is my first post here, so forgive me if i'm posting in the wrong section. I'm posting on this forum specifically because I got some progress towards solving my issue using most of the answers posted here!

So came back from work, woke up my PC...it required a restart....I restarted then I got stuck on the black windows screen with logo not animating...I restarted again and was greeted with the dreadful check your PC for errors or boot normally window...I chose to let windows fix the issue.....it took about a good 20 minutes just to get to that window where it started checking for errors (I have a good PC...i'll post the specs bellow). After checking, windows couldn't find any problems so I rebooted again and this time went into safe mode with networking.

Safe mode got stuck while loading some avg.sys file...this is where I panicked! after scouring the internet for 2 straight days...someone mentioned deleting those avg.sys files from the windows\system32\drivers folder as they were related to AVG antivirus and were not essential to boot the PC (Planning on removing AVG anyways so I figured ok...let's do it)...rebooted the pc...pressed check for errors....canceled the checking process...and clicked on command prompt at the bottom on that window....opened notepad...file\open...just so I can have some window where I could breathe and do something....I found those avg.sys files deleted them.....rebooted into safe mode....now it was stuck while loading CLASSPNP.SYS!

Again scoured the internet (big thanks to the people in this forum) for answers...and I literally did everything! Ran every single command from command prompt...chkdsk....sfc...rename classpnp.sys to .old...changing bios setting or whatever....you name it...I did them all....after almost giving up...I decided to open my case and further inspect.......Unhooked power, removed video card, removed all hdd, I cleaned around, switched SATA cables around and put back everything back into the case...

Boot into safe mode...same thing stuck on CLASSPNP.sys......I left it sit there for a while.....and holly molly! It actually booted into safe mode......after 30 minutes! Now here comes the real fun......because I restarted my system 5 million times the wrong way.......as soon as it loaded safe mode....it said something about pagefile size was set by windows or whatever....it was asking me to check it.....I couldn't do anything as it is almost impossible to click anything....it's so slow....its telling me my c drive has 8mb or free space! LOL! I know for a fact I have at least 13gig free....but I noticed my pagefile size was around that size...so i'm stumped....

Again booted into check errors from windows.....(not safe mode) and pressed command prompt....again launched notepad...file open....and moved some files from c to one of my 3tb drives....it said now I have 5gb space on c....now i can breathe right? Nope! It's still absolutely crawling when I booted back into safe mode......I can't do anything....one of my drives is showing under my computer....but can't see how much space or the blue bar on it....and as soon as I press on it to open it...the PC hangs....I know it exists and it's in good condition...chkdsk yielded 0 bad sectors...and in bios...the drive exists and it reads 1Tb so it's good......

What am I missing guys? Am I imaging things...or did moving the SATA cables around kind of did something good? Please help me!

Thanks!

PC specs:

i7 3773
    Motherboard Asus p877 pro
    16Gb RAM
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    PSU Corsair1050
    Last edited by ctaminian; 2017-08-10 at 11:27.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow, you've really been around the Horn! I'm on the way out of the house at the moment but your plight is certainly interesting.
    I don't suppose you have a disk image from before this problem, do you? (That's something to consider once your present problems have been sorted.)
    Good luck, I'll check back in a few hours when I return (hopefully, someone will have some positive thoughts).
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the reply! The internet is alive I guess! A glimpse of hope!

Yeah I don't have a disk image currently.....i'm biting my teeth! Will make one once I actually can click on stuff...other than black windows

Thanks
    If you can get into safe mode again, see if you have a System Restore point prior to all your problems.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry...there are no system restore points...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't normally recommend messing around with individual driver files. That is an absolute last resort. Software systems nowadays are typically networks of interconnected files and programs; when you take one out at random the other related programs are left with an unexpected run condition. There's almost no telling what happens after that.

Something is majorly wrong and you have no useful backups. The standard repair utilities aren't helping either. It's time to throw in the towel. Save your data files as best you can, then reformat and reinstall Windows.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    CT,

Before invoking the "nuclear option" of reformat & clean install, I doubt there's much to lose by trying Tweaking.com's Windows All-in-one Repair:

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page...ll_in_one.html

Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2017-08-12 at 11:18.

Thanks
    You need to rule out hardware problems, no software can fix those.

I'd shutdown and then disconnect all ext. devices bar the KB/mouse. Restart and go straight to the BIOS, set it to Defaults and then Save and Exit, allow Windows to restart 'normally', that will give it the best chance to reinstall anything that got 'lost'.

If that fails, try to narrow it down further - shutdown, open it up and d/c the graphics card, CD/DVD and any data drives not vital for Windows. Connect your monitor to the 'board output and use the iGPU on the 3770. Restart and enter the BIOS again but this time disable anything that's not vital, sound, wireless, NIC, RAID,etc. (if Windows can't detect them, boot will be faster and cleaner, less drivers to load).

In between, try to regain access via Safe Mode/Step by step and check/compare differences in errors logged, etc. between test sessions.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Next time you feel an urge to panic - try to remember to check here in the Lounge, first.
    Having re-read your description of the steps you took, I'm inclined to agree with satrow on how to proceed.
    Of course, running the Windows Repair mentioned by Zig probably wouldn't hurt (however if your computer is very slow it might take hours to complete!).
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio