5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to have Admin Acnt Have Access to User Acount

I have two accounts on my Win10 Laptop: an Admin-level account and a User-level account. I can log into either one but I want my Admin-level account to have access to my User-Level account. I thought that would be the case automatically but they are so separate they might as well be on different computers.

How can I give my Admin-level account access to all the files, etc., in my User-level account?

Thanks,
    Bill

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When logged into the Admin account what kind of message does Windows give you when you try to access the other user account's folders and files?
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It brings up the usual dialog box asking for the admin password but after entering that it says I don't have access to that account!

Thanks,
    Bill

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 1,027 Posts
    Do you just want access to the files? Log in as the user, open Explorer / File Manager and change the permissions on the appropriate folder to give the admin user access.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reminder Paul. I had forgotten I could do that! I think access to some files will be enough for what I was running into.

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    ...Log in as the user, open Explorer / File Manager and change the permissions on the appropriate folder to give the admin user access...
    Note that any files you place in the Desktop, Documents, etc. folders under C:\Users\Public should be accessible to all users.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    Confuscius said: "no use running harder if you're on the wrong road" and "any problem once correctly understood is already half-solved".

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've never used the Public category and hadn't really thought about it. That's good to know.

Thanks Coochin.
    Bill